• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI 5870 vapor-x better performance it higher res....

Soldato
Is this right? My 5870 Vapor-x seems to prefer high res then lower res. Running something like 3Dmark06 at 1280 x 720 really doesn't result in a much higher score then say 1920 x 1080. I mean not complaining but that seems odd... I've never ran anything on a PC at 1920 x 1080 before, let alone a benchmark and thought - wow that's impressive..!!

In fact, watching the FPS counter, I'd say there was nothing in it, as I do lock the FPS and sync every frame..

I like to benchmark at the same res /sync as I'd play games.... Pointless to me in getting the highest score as screen tearing is dreadful to look at, and I'd never play a game without v sync enabled..

Also, the raw power of the 5870 vapor-x is fantastic, but the driver suite compared to Nvida is nowhere near as good... I can't seem to setup my dual displays quite the same as I did with my 800 GT... I'm slowly getting there using hydrovision (or something) sure this is just teething problems with changing over to a whole new system...

Coming from Win XP, Nvida, Creative to Win 7, ATI, Asus D2 sound its bound to take some getting used to... Still, seems I've gained excellent FPS but lost some functions I did like..

Anything like nview for ATI?

Associate
I like to benchmark at the same res /sync as I'd play games.... Pointless to me in getting the highest score as screen tearing is dreadful to look at, and I'd never play a game without v sync enabled..

Using v-sync whilst benching will just result in a performance flatline that tells you nothing. Your card could be underperforming and you wouldn't know it because you've placed an arbitrary limitation on the frames it can push.

There's no point in benchmarking at all if you're going to do that.

Back
Top Bottom