Patriot SSD's 32/64gb

Associate
Between these two hard drives is there any benefit with spending £5 more and getting the 64GB?

If I purchased 2x 32gb and raid 0 them should it still be quicker considering the onboard controller has to assess the drives prior to load?

using 3x F3's in raid 0 and obiously there's 8-10 seconds of where the drives are scanned.

Thinking about having the 2x 32Gb unless anyone can state otherwise :)

Associate
I'm also in the same position as you, I'm just waiting for the new firmware to fix issues with these drives before I order. I would make sure you look out for the new firmware next week, it adds TRIM support and should be bumping the read/write speeds to the advertised specs.

Performance wise I think two of these drive would be great in RAID 0 and would provide a good performance increase over a single drive, this is always the case though when comparing a RAID 0 setup to a single drive.

Associate
OP
I had got to the stage of where I couldn't be bothered waiting for trim as it seemed to be taking ages.

would this firmware be already installed by next week (no drives with a new price) or would it have to be installed? (existing drives that are for sale)

Associate
OP
It's now the 15th and nothing has been released (maybe I'm a little quick). I've looked on patriotmemory.com and there's not anything I can see on the update at all.

It's been a while since I looked at trim so am I write in thinking this is still mainly to do with defragging the drives?

If I did buy them now and have to reinstall when this update is released what problems might I run into?

Associate
It's now the 15th and nothing has been released (maybe I'm a little quick). I've looked on patriotmemory.com and there's not anything I can see on the update at all.

It's been a while since I looked at trim so am I write in thinking this is still mainly to do with defragging the drives?

If I did buy them now and have to reinstall when this update is released what problems might I run into?

Not to sure mate I've got no experience with SDD's, I'm waiting till tomorrow now and if the firmware is not out I will be picking up a WD Black 640 for my OS and another 1TB drive for data.

Associate
OP
I'm so indecisive. I like exploring the unknown and in another thread someone did say just go for the ssd.

I went back on the patriots website and there was a link to another shop which I must add was more expensive than ocuk (good job guys again on price) and one chap raided 2 32gbs and posted this.

--------------------------------------

2x 32GB PC-100 SSD disks in a RAID 0 array

Speed after windows 7 install

Sequential Read : 331.900 MB/s
Sequential Write : 78.990 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 152.500 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 75.250 MB/s
Random Read 4KB : 4.210 MB/s
Random Write 4KB : 0.925 MB/s

Test Size : 100 MB
Date : 2010/01/27 00:48:34

after a few weeks

Sequential Read : 302.571 MB/s
Sequential Write : 85.761 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 138.930 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 133.931 MB/s
Random Read 4KB : 4.046 MB/s
Random Write 4KB : 18.112 MB/s

Test Size : 100 MB
Date : 2010/02/09 18:36:34

--------------------------------------

so obviously with that in consideration you lose 30mb/s within 2 weeks and even when they release the TRIM firmware you won't be able to claim that speed back but I think still compared to the 64gb of 210mb/s (which until the firmware release won't be that speed) I think its still interesting to consider.

Back
Top Bottom