HDD copy software

Associate
My 2 month old Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA-II 64MB hdd has started ticking.
Thinking it is about to fail i'm looking into copying the drive to another. I have never done this before. Will ACRONIS True Image Home 2010 be the software to use?.
I know the purple shirt mob sell it and are open on a Sunday. Or is there any easy to use freeware software.

Soldato
Acronis will work. Clonezilla is free but isn't "easy" to use.

Another solution would be to just use the built-in backup tool with Windows 7 which will largely achieve the same thing.

Soldato
I have heard good things about clonezilla, so tried it once.... never again LOL, not the most user friendly solution...

Acronis is easy to use but must be paid for, and the built in W7 software is a gift and costs nothing.... :)

Associate
OP
Not on my win7 pc at the moment but will the built in software copy the whole drive to a spare drive or just backup specified files.

Soldato
The built in software will backup the entire drive, however, once the image has been created, you can mount it as a virtual drive at any time, and therefore restore individual files if you need too :)

Soldato
Not on my win7 pc at the moment but will the built in software copy the whole drive to a spare drive or just backup specified files.

It will do either, a file-based or an image-based backup. If you have a disk big enough to store the image (basically the entire contents of the source disk) then it is just a case of restoring this image to a new hard disk.

Associate
OP
Why dont you use the free edition of True Acronis from western digital HERE.

Thanks everyone for the input. The free edition did the trick :)
managed to clone to a 500gb hdd and removed the old hdd.

Now for the ubernoob thing is my pc is still ticking every 1 1/2 sec's.

tested with old 8800 ultra so its not that. disconected the dvd drive still the same.

now looking at the HX850w Corsair psu. Think i had better make post in the correct section. But thanks for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom