• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How much more do you get from X FIRE?

Soldato
Hi everyone, I have just got myself a nice 5850 and I am thinking of giving cross fire a go never tried it before. I just wanted to know how much more you really get out of cross fireing 2 5850's? I only have a 22" monitor so my max res is only 1600x900 so would i really see the benifit of cross fire?

hope you can help

Soldato
Don't bother at 1600x900. I used crossfired 5850's on my 24" 1920x1200 screen and in the end decided a single 5850 overclocked to 975/1175 was more than enough.

Associate
Xfire is worth it if the game supports it and ATI release a profile in their drivers. There are 4 types off rendering modes. AFR, SFR, Supertiling and Super AA. I game at 1920 X 1200. I keep Vsync on so 60fps is a constant must. rFactor uses AFR so I set AA to super sampled in the CCC but dependant on what mod and track I have custome AA modes. Looks Lush. However Shift for instance supports Xfire but the profile in the drive is rubbish, so re-name the Shift.exe to Grid.exe and max'd out, again looks lush. However Bad Company 2 only needs a single 5850. It all depends on what games, resoulution and eye candy you want..

Soldato
OP
thanks for your input, I am new to ATI cards and I cant seem to find my way around there site to good, i want the latest drivers for the 5850 but dont no what to download, im kinda confused

Man of Honour
At the right resolution for the cards you should see average gains in the region of 60-70% and in some cases almost double the performance... however at 1600x900 you'd be quite happy with a singe 5850, the optimal crossfire solution for this res would be 5770 or 5750 - but pointless when you can get a single faster card in the same ballpark price range.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Thanks mate i found them in the end from the top of the forum lol dam im stupid!!

At the right resolution for the cards you should see average gains in the region of 60-70% and in some cases almost double the performance... whoever at 1600x900 you'd be quite happy with a singe 5850, the optimal crossfire solution for this res would be 5770 or 5750 - but pointless when you can get a single faster card in the same ballpark price range.

Thanks for that mate, i see your point with regards to the res it would not be worth running x fire at all. I am looking to upgrade in the future and x fire two of these 5850's on my 32" 1080p TV, im looking at getting this nice x fire board
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-339-AS&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=1481

As well as this RAM
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-193-CS

Its a real costly upgrade when getting a x fire setup i only have an am2+ board so im gonna need new everything!!

Associate
Xfire is worth it if the game supports it and ATI release a profile in their drivers. There are 4 types off rendering modes. AFR, SFR, Supertiling and Super AA. I game at 1920 X 1200. I keep Vsync on so 60fps is a constant must. rFactor uses AFR so I set AA to super sampled in the CCC but dependant on what mod and track I have custome AA modes. Looks Lush. However Shift for instance supports Xfire but the profile in the drive is rubbish, so re-name the Shift.exe to Grid.exe and max'd out, again looks lush. However Bad Company 2 only needs a single 5850. It all depends on what games, resoulution and eye candy you want..

Hi,
I take it you use a 5850 ?
I play rfactor, @ 1920 X 1200, Vsync on.
and when i tried a 5870, i got very bad stutters.

My 275 was a lot better. why do you think that could be?
Also, what does them profile do in their drivers ? and how do u tell if a game supports AFR, SFR ?
Sorry to hijack, just be intrested to know :D

Cheers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom