No internet connectivity when DHCP server is not the internet gateway.

Associate
Hi,

I am changing the DHCP server from the internet router supplied by my provider to the new Linksys 610N router.

I have a network printer connected to the internet router.

The internet router is connected to the WRT610N and everything else is connected to the WRT610 (cable or wireless).

I have turned off the DHCP on the internet router and turned it on for the WRT610N and have assigned reserved IP's for known MAC addresses. I have local network connectivity but not internet connectivity. Gateway is set via DHCP as the ip of the WRT610N and I cannot find a way to change this.

Also, setting the gateway manually to the internet router still gives no internet connectivity.

I also cannot resolve any names to IP addresses (i.e. www.google.com). The ISP nameservers are set in both the WRT610N and the internet router.

I can connect to google by IP address by manually setting the gateway to the internet router but not by using DHCP which sets the gateway to the WRT610N.

The internet router and the WRT610N are connected via standard network ports (i.e. not to the 'internet' port on either router). Both are on the same subnet (WRT610N = 253, internet router = 254 both static).

It all worked fine with the internet router as DHCP.

Any thoughts or suggestions please.

Thanks

RB

Associate
OP
Sorry to clarify,

The routers have an internet port but the one provided by the ISP also has a modem port where the telephone line is connected.

The ISP provided a 2Wire 2701HGV-E-Gateway. This router handles our IPTV service, VOIP and internet connection.

Reverting back to using the 2Wire as the DHCP server and it all works. The 2Wire seems quite slow though as it is handling everything and the DHCP on the WRT610N seems to work much faster hence wanting to use that one but only for DHCP.

Cheers
RB

Last edited:
Soldato
You will need to see if the 'new' router can have its DHCP modified to instruct it to had out the 'old' routers address as both Default Gateway and DNS. The new router is essentially doing no routing at all in this situation.

If you want to use your new router to do the routing, you will need to find out if you can put the 'old' router into bridge mode (so it passes through the public IP), or at the very least disable NAT (i.e. all ports will be forwarded to one local IP address). Then connect it to the 'internet' port of the new router. You'll then have to move your networked printer, as nothing will be able to access it if connected to the old router in this setup.

Man of Honour
You need to bear in mind that some (in particular foreign) ISPs do bizarre things with their routers and end user gear unfortunately. UK providers and surprisingly good about this but in other places bizarre ways of locking stuff down are common..

Back
Top Bottom