Moped riding licence ... confused?

Caporegime
Hi guys,

I've been considering getting a scooter for the daily commute to save money and time, I passed my full driving test (inc. Theory) in October 2004 so as I understand it i'd need to do the CBT in order to ride a moped.

Do I also have to do a theory? Or is that for the "Full" bike licence? I'm only really looking to ride a 50CC so i'm a bit confused as to exactly what I have to pass/partake in in order to do so legally.

Advice appreciated!

Cheers
Aaron

Soldato
You only need a Valid car license to drive a 50cc.

Please don't give out incorrect information about something so important :(

If you passed your car driving test after 1st February 2001 you need to do a CBT to ride a moped.

If you look at your driving licence it'll have code '122' next to the P entitlement which means 'valid on successful completion: Basic Moped Training Course'.

daz

daz

Soldato
If you're 17+, why not get a 125cc?

It will feel more substantial and IMO be safer than riding a woefully underpowered 50cc. Can still ride one with a CBT + L plates so long as you are old enough.

Soldato
Theory is majorly easy though? It's mostly common sense, the bike theory isn't much different and seeing as you've been driving for a while it should present as easy to pass.

As far as I know on a CBT you'll just get asked a couple of questions out of something like 14 you have to learn.

Your provisional entitlement to a 50cc becomes full entitlement as soon as you've done a CBT for the period you hold your licence.
For anything bigger you'll still need to do a cbt (which will last 2 years) and have L plates on etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom