Any advice?

Associate
Upgrade.png

Planning on picking up this rig, running the HDD's and SSD's in RAID0. Installing Win 7 on the HDD's and using the SSD's purely for games and overclocking the cpu to 4ghz. Also might pick up another 5870 later and run them in crossfire. Any thoughts?

RJC

RJC

Don
My personal choices would be change the Seagate to Samsung 500gb F3, 2000MHZ is bit on the expensive side, 1600mhz will work fine, you can also drop the psu to 700w ~ which will be plenty for your system including cross-fire.

Associate
I agree on the memory, and those seagates are fine they are the same as the samsung F3's where they only have one platter so you'll get 120mb substained from them also.

Also i would install the OS on the SSD as this is where you will see it benefit you the most.

Also why not drop the 2 x OCZ vertexs and go for the Intel 160GB X25-M? I just moved from a vertex to an Intel and its much quicker than the vertex.

Would also drop that memory and go for this one http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-200-CS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1392

thats nearly £70 saved on the memory so why not put that towards another 5870.
That memory is low latency and will server you better.

HTH

Associate
I would also suggest moving to one ssd as well. This being due to most not supporting TRIM when configured in a RAID array.

Associate
OP
I'm anal about having the "highest" versions of operating systems, that's why I'm getting Win 7 ultimate.

A single XFX 5970 Black edition is cheaper than 2x 5870's but would a single 5970 beat 2x 5870's in crossfire in terms of performance? Don't mind the extra cost.

I dropped the RAM down to what Ultim8 suggested. Changed the HDD's to 2x 500gb Samsung F3's and changed the SSD to a single Intel X25-M and changed the PSU to a 700w Coolermaster Silent Pro.

Anything else?

Associate
OP
I'm still thinking I should install the OS on the HDD's and use the SSD purely for games, this rig is meant purely for games and as far as I understand installing them on the SSD will improve loading times a fair bit.

Back
Top Bottom