My new build / Upgrade, looking some advice.

Associate
Hey guy's.
I have a bit of spare cash at the moment and want to upgrade / build a new PC. I mainly use my pc for Photoshop, BFBC2, MW2, After effects , browsing etc. I am hoping you guys can give me a idea on what not to get and what to get. Most of the stuff i have has been working perfecto for me for 2 years now, exept for the motherboards, 3 motherboards over the 2 years. So thats why im looking to upgrade to quality stuff this time.

Would love to upgrade to i3 or i5, is there any point for what i do ?

Here is my curent spec at the minute :-

Intel E8400 3.00ghz x2 (Keep)
MSI P35 Neo 2 motherboard ( No sound any more)
4GB Crucial Ram 4x1GB (Keep)
Plait 9600GT (Keep) ( upgrade to 250 ?)
TPLINK Wireless N card (Keep)
Cheapo Sound card.
Modded Mac pro Case :D

Now i have a budget of around £200 to do this.

What i need want :-

New motherboard with :-
4 ram slots
Good layout

New case :-
Either
Coolermaster 335
Coolermaster Sniper

Antec 300
Antec 902

Want something a bit smaller, sick of big cases tbh :rolleyes:

Not going near ATI and AMD

Prefebaly from OCUK :p

My PC at the minute : -

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Forgot to menition i am not going near ATI have had problems before and never liked them since.

And as for motherboard i want something smaller and wont **** up every month or so as this one has.

Havent a clue on overclocking.

Associate
Ati have sorted out a lot of their problems and are generally more reliable now a days

a lot of my friend's have more problems with nvidia cards as of late but i've have no problems with either brand don't let past experience's let you waste money on something that's not worth it mate

I agree with stulid no point upgrading socket 775 get a decent cooler on that cpu and oc it

Associate
OP
Ill need to get a decent motherboard if i am going to do that, i wouldnt rely on that MSI **** i have at the minute thats why i am asking you guy's :)

I have a decent cooler, ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 and boys dos she cool :)

stock.jpg

The 9600gt is fine like but just when i have the money i am looking to upgrade.

Do you lot think i should go to i3 or i5 ?
Is it worth it for what i do and will i notice a difference ?

Caporegime
Forgot to menition i am not going near ATI have had problems before and never liked them since.

And as for motherboard i want something smaller and wont **** up every month or so as this one has.

Havent a clue on overclocking.

Ok. Then buy the cheapest/2nd hand motherboard you can find.

And get a nice case which will last you years.

Associate
OP
I have been, always **** them selves after about 5 months.

case wise i just went and got a partly damaged mac pro case and modded it but too much for me to try and get things made for it so just gonna sell it and get a small decent case. Before i had a CM690 and loved/hated it :L

Associate
Mate, I'm sorry but you came here asking for advice, on what's best. And the fact is that the Radeon cards are simply better just now.

I agree on the cooler got an NV120 myself mounted with AS5, possibly one of my best purchases ever, looking to take it over to my next upgrade.

Your processor is fine for now, you can look at getting one of the ASUStek p45/p43 motherboards and overclocking it. With a budget of £200 you might struggle to make all the changes you want though.

Associate
there are several guides on the net for overclocking and you can always post in the overclocking section of the forum here for help :)

you might wanna remove that bay link from your other post btw as linking to competitors isn't allowed

Asus P5QL/EPU this would probs do you

that or just save your money for another month or something and get an i5 setup you can get a mobo, cpu and ram for £300

Last edited:
Associate
there are several guides on the net for overclocking and you can always post in the overclocking section of the forum here for help :)

you might wanna remove that bay link from your other post btw as linking to competitors isn't allowed

Asus P5QL/EPU this would probs do you

that or just save your money for another month or something and get an i5 setup you can get a mobo, cpu and ram for £300

That's a good safe board, but you won't be pushing any boundaries with it

Associate
you really don't want that graphics card they're incredibly slow and only just faster (1-5fps) than your current 9600gt in a lot of games and slower in others

get the antec 300 case and use the £50 you've saved to get an ati hd5770 the only real worthwhile nvidia upgrade would be a gtx260 which cost about £150

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom