How does this look? (BMW 330cd)

Associate
[TW]Fox;16153181 said:
His facelift conversion is excellent - its a difficult but very effective modification - but its completely overshadowed by everything else.

In the words of Clarkson, its like painting a really nice oil painting and then smearing **** all over it :p
Absolutely agree the rear lights are terrible ( I hate them myself ) but will change for LED's later, getting rid of all the chrome and the eyebrows ( they crack the top of the lens under the seal ) as for the parts ( all free - Bodyshop returns )

Red coupes I would say are definitely nicest, not a lot going around.

Soldato
OP
I would say yes, you should be able to find a nice, low owner, well looked after pre-facelift sport for 8k no problem. Just be patient and the perfect car will come along...

I must say that red is actually rather nice, mines black and does look nice when polished but it is such a ***** to keep clean.

EDIT: You sure you don't want to splurge on a facelift version? They are very sexy :)

When was the facelift, how much more should I need to get one?

Just deliberating whether it's worth spending extra to get less practicality with the coupe? They are sexy, but wondering whether it's worth it or not. Is the saloon/touring the same as the coupe to drive? Same suspension setup, same noise, same seats etc?

Man of Honour
Facelift was 2003/03. I'd want £10k+ for a properly nice one but I'm not sure any non M E46 Coupe is worth that kinda money really these days so I'd probably settle for a prefacelift.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
You can get a nice example of the facelift version for sub 10k if you keep you eye out. My '04 plate was one owner FBMWSH 57k for 8.4k albeit a 2.5 not a 3ltr but still I would think you could get a nice 330 for under the double figure mark.

EDIT: Ah mind you with the sat nav and other optional extras it could take you slightely over... and also in that rare colour.

Space wise, it's going to be down to personal preference. If you are tall then the back seats become obsolete for common usage, plus you get the inconvenience of having only two doors... other than that it is very practical.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My only real reason for wanting the nav is so I can get decent ipod integration, not interested in the navigation functionality really as my android phone does a good job of that.

I'm not convinced my Alpine X001 will look anything other than complete turd in the E46 dash so that's really the only way to get decent ipod integration AFAIK.

Soldato
OP
I wouldnt let having to install an out of place looking head unit restrict my search, if i found the right car.

Why not? The interior is one of the most important factors to me in a car and I dont want to ruin it with an aftermarket HU. The conversion to BMW nav looks like a complete arse too, so that's not really an option

Man of Honour
The conversion isn't an arse at all, its reasonably straightforward in an E46 because unlike the X5 and the E39 you dont need a new instrument cluster for full functionality.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;16154471 said:
The conversion isn't an arse at all, its reasonably straightforward in an E46 because unlike the X5 and the E39 you dont need a new instrument cluster for full functionality.

Have you got any links/further info?

Man of Honour
Have you got any links/further info?

You need a screen @ £250, a navigation computer (£250 for a Mk3, £350 for a Mk4), a retrofit loom (£100), a radio module (£250) and some random brackets and stuff (£50) and a GPS antenna from an electronics shop (£10).

Fitting it isn't difficult, it just takes all day as you need to take the rear seats out etc.

Soldato
OP
Hmm, I dont mind tinkering, but thats a grand's worth of parts... As the cars with nav only seem to be a few hundred quid more than those without, is it worth doing?

Interesting suggestion on the Alpine mjt, will have a nosey

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
There's a dark blue cabrio b3 3.3 that often parks at Sainsburys (Fareham) - it looks damn nice and mean but it has a woman driver and is often too dirty :(

No need to worry about headlining in a cabrio :D

Man of Honour
Hmm, I dont mind tinkering, but thats a grand's worth of parts... As the cars with nav only seem to be a few hundred quid more than those without, is it worth doing?

Its up to you.

Personally I find making a non-minter mint costs more than a grand, so if I found an immaculate example without Nav it wouldnt (and didnt!) put me off.

Back
Top Bottom