Firefox freezing in Windows 7 & unfreezing when I click the Start button.

Associate
Hard to summarize the issue in the title but here it goes in more detail:

After browsing for some time, and usually when scrolling in a web page, Firefox freezes and doesn't respond. It seems that it has scrolled just below what it actually shows but the window content is not reacting (cursor doesn't change over links for example) and none of the buttons/menus/scroll bars works. I can drag the whole window around, and the system works otherwise. If I try to do anything more than dragging the window (for example use the scrollbar again etc.) the window changes to "not responding".

The "solution" is to simply hit the start button. If I do that, the screen flashes black for 1/2 second, then the whole desktop gets re-drawn, including the firefox window (that is responding properly again) and it actually goes to where it should be (i.e. if I was scrolling and it froze showing 60% down in the page whereas last scrolling would have brought it to 70%, then after the unfreezing it would be at 70% part of the page).

The problem is not very critical but it is annoying nonetheless. It happens very frequently after some time of web browsing with Firefox (all versions 3.x) in Windows 7 (it happened in Ultimate RC 32bit, it happens in exactly the same way in the newly purchased and freshly installed after a format Professional 32bit version). It didn't happen in Windows Vista that was preinstalled in the machine (from which I upgraded to Win 7 RC). The machine is a Thinkpad T60 laptop, model 2613CTO (US model), with Core 2 Duo CPU, 2GB DDR2 RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 graphics, Intel X-25M SSD hard drive. I have installed all latest versions of every driver etc. and have looked at all suspect settings. I have also googled every possible keyword that would describe the problem without finding any other mentioning of it.

I have a suspicion that it has to do with the video card drivers, so I actually tried to find a different version (other than the one supplied by Lenovo) which is based on the desktop version of ATI the drivers, but it behaved in exactly the same way.

Associate
OP
Sometimes the window corruption appears like this:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3786160/Untitled2.png
So it affects the taskbar as well (all windows disappear) and the window contents after the last part of the scroll down (it's continuous scrolling using the trackpoint actually) doesn't work, showing repeatedly the last horizontal part of the website all the way down (hard to explain but the picture is showing it very clearly).
When I click the start button, the screen blinks a couple of times and the window contents and the taskbar windows are properly restored.

Soldato
If this issue is present in several versions of Windows 7 but not in Vista, it sounds like a driver issue.

Have you tried just running the Windows 7 GPU drivers? Uninstall any ATI drivers you have and reboot, Windows 7 should install its own. Does the problem persist?

It may also be worth searching for any know issues with your laptop and Windows 7.

Associate
OP
If this issue is present in several versions of Windows 7 but not in Vista, it sounds like a driver issue.

Have you tried just running the Windows 7 GPU drivers? Uninstall any ATI drivers you have and reboot, Windows 7 should install its own. Does the problem persist?

It may also be worth searching for any know issues with your laptop and Windows 7.

I've searched a lot, nothing relevant to my problem. Several people have different issues, but that's the case for every machine I suppose.

Also, I tried that and Windows installed the same drivers (that I suppose it found online).

Back
Top Bottom