what you need for a 3 monitor setup help

Associate
hi all

what do you need for a 3 monitor setup do you need 2 gfx cards? if so so they need to be the same grand and need to be crossfired

any help or info would be helpfull

thanks

Associate
OP
i have a ati 5770 in at the moment sahpire x-vapour and windows 7 pro would i be still be able to use ATI Eyefinity advanced multiple-display

so what i need is at least 1 monitor with a displayport, i have a samsung 2443 at the moment and want another 2 monitors.

so do you just plug the other monitor into the other monitors display port abit like dasy chaining the monitors then to a gfx card ?

do the dell u2410 and u7211 have these ports ?

thanks

Last edited:
Associate
yeah your card should work with eye finity and yes you'd need three monitors one either needs to be a display port monitor or you'll also need to get a active dvi to display port adaptor.

they all go into the back of the card

Associate
OP
ok so it would work like this

Q1
monitor 1 dvi 1
monitor 2 dvi 2
monitor 3 display port

Q2
ok how is the picture quality of the displayport comparied to dvi as i know when i used vga and went to dvi it was shaper and more cleaner picture, is the display port just as good as dvi ?

Q3
does using 3 monitors put strain on the gfx card at all ? i would be using

3 x 1920x1200 monitors

or

2 x 1090x1200 and 1 x 2560 x 1440

i have not decided yet, would this be ok

Q4
is it possable to have the task bar only in the centre monitor at all ?or just have it on 2 monitors the left and right monitors can you configure how you view the task bars thanks

thanks

Last edited:
Permabanned
You will need:
3x 1920x1200 (need the same res)

1x Display port
2x DVI (best to put display port as primary monitor)

When playing games you would see performance drops with a 5770, you can also lower the res to 5040x1050... and use 3 screens... or lower the ingame spec.

Im unsure about the task bar, if you use extended mode for normal work then yes if the center is the primary, but in eyefinity no it will be on the left lcd and span all the way to other right lcd like a long one.

So:
3 screen extended from center = task bar in middle
3 screen eyefinity = task bar on all screens with home button on left only.

3x 1920x1200 monitors

1x Display port
2x DVI

Diffrence between display port and DVI is not much, Displayport can carry more bandwidth but gives exact same image.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ahh so i can have the task bar in the centre screen and have it extended to the other 2 thats good

why do i need to have all the same res monitors ? do i need to i was going to mgot 2 x 24" and 1 x 27" maybe

Associate
this would be so cool, would i be able to use 3 of the following monitor to do with with AMD955 BE and 5850 single, will be upgrading to xFire later

edit : removed link

Last edited:
Soldato
this would be so cool, would i be able to use 3 of the following monitor to do with with AMD955 BE and 5850 single, will be upgrading to xFire later

I would remove the link if I was you.
You can have different res for each screen, as long as you are not using eyefinity. Eyefinity basically treats all three screens as one massive screen. If you want each screen to act independantly, then you can use any res you want, while the task bar stays in the centre screen. The card will only strain if you're gaming in eyefinity.

Associate
okay i removed the link, i am sure this one is okay :

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-033-BQ

so i have decided to go with that instead, would i be able to use 2 or 3 at the same time?
i would use them for gaming and when not gaming using all screens i would most likely have showing work content, one with a movie or something and a third not being used unless i needed it
would this be possible? what cables would i need?

Soldato
Kinda stealing Merid's thread here kella, but yes, as long as you have a 5000 series card, that will do, assuming you're using eyefinity for gaming. All you need is 3 DVI cables, and an active Displayport -> DVI and you're ready to go.

Associate
OP
Ok so my options are

1 use eyefinity and have the same size monitors all the same res,

2 use both dvi for the 24" same res. Buy a 2nd gfx card plug the 27" monitor into the dvi and use it's own res

want to have my task bar like this task bar left monitor just a bar, centre task bar with windows button, right task bar with clock is that poss ?

can u not plug 3 monitors into 1 card and not use eyefinity and still have different res or do I need another gfx card for this

Associate
Meridiusuk,
I have had 3 monitors set up with eyefinity for about a month, you need 3 monitors all with the same res (they can all be dvi)
A 5*** series graphics card, i have the 5850.

Because i have 3 monitors that are all dvi and no displayport, i have had to get an 'active' display port adaptor. Once you have all these it is fairly easy to set up.

Jay

Permabanned
Ok so my options are

1 use eyefinity and have the same size monitors all the same res,

2 use both dvi for the 24" same res. Buy a 2nd gfx card plug the 27" monitor into the dvi and use it's own res

want to have my task bar like this task bar left monitor just a bar, centre task bar with windows button, right task bar with clock is that poss ?

can u not plug 3 monitors into 1 card and not use eyefinity and still have different res or do I need another gfx card for this

you need a ATI 5000 series card and 2 dvi monitors and a Display port monitor.

Associate
I heard a while ago that you can use a Displayport > VGA connector which are a lot cheaper than the DP > DVI. But you have to run in a lower res?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Associate
OP
i know what your saying but a post above said you can not have different res on eyefinity 2 x 24" and 1x27" which then would make the 27" look crap as it needs to lower it to the same res as a 24".

just wanted to know what i need to do to run 3 monitors 2 with the same res and the third with a higher different res if thats poss.

i have still not decided to go for a 3 x224" or 2x24" and 1x27"

Back
Top Bottom