Wordpress back ups

Associate
I have my own install of Wordpress on a shared host and lately I've been thinking about back ups. The host doesn't support cron jobs, which was my initial thoughts, so I think I have several options:

--Keep local copies of all posts, maybe under source control. (I sort of have this already since I share drafts between machines with Dropbox). Of course the problem with this is, I don't have backups of comments

--Create a psudeo cron script that dumps the SQL database and emails it to my gmail account.

--Something I haven't thought of at all?

Just interested in how others do it?

Last edited:

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Do you have shell access? You might be able to access crons through there.

If you want it pretty much automated then you could create a script on your server (obviously backup manually before trying this just in case) to do the SQL backup and email it you, and then schedule wget to connect to the backup URL every day, thus triggering the backup/email to take place.

http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Backups#Automatic_Backups may be useful too.

Associate
who is it hosted with? all hosts i've been with have had some kind of backup option in the control panel

or at least have phpmyadmin on there for mysql

Soldato
Have a cron on your local machine that does some thing to back up the remote server via either ssh or php script?

Maby a php file which dumps the database and core files, zips and emails to a special gmail and then deletes the oldest gmail message allowing for say 30 days backup or what evers,.

Back
Top Bottom