Complete change of heart - new priorities, new spec me

Soldato
So after my inredibly long drawn out thread of deliberation, that went from a 12k 330cd to me eventually deciding on a 330ci (via all sorts in the middle), I started to mull over how I was going to pay for the damn thing which got me thinking about my current priorities - that's lead to a complete change of heart!

So apologies and thanks to everyone who helped with all the advice in the last thread!

I, like most people here, love cars and driving - but after a lot of deliberation, I decided that I'd rather spend the money on other things: travel, my flat, beer...

So I still want to change, but I'm not ready to own what was a 35k car quite yet. Looking for something to keep for 3 years or thereabouts - I want something that will just serve me well without any major hassle. While my Mondeo isnt showing any signs of trouble, I appreciate that it may well do in the next few years. So I'm looking at something of a similar size, hopefully better specced, newer and lower mileage. Looking at petrols to inject a bit of fun back into an otherwise boring car, plus the costs/reliability reasons that are often raised around here. Yes, I know how much I've defended diesels and I'll stand by what I've said, but I think on this occasion a petrol is for me.

Looking at spending about £7.5k (4k plus mine), considering the following:

-Audi A4 2.0 - falls into the same cost/age category as the BMW
-Mondeo 2.5 V6 - fancy a change
-X-type V6 - dont really like the image
-Lexus IS200 - again, not sure on the image and dont know much about them
-Mazda 6, probably a 2.3
-Honda Accord 2.4 - probably the preference at the moment, awaiting retribution from my previous remarks about the interior
-Skoda Octavia vRS - interesting option, not sure what reliability is like?
-Avensis 2.0 - Reliable, comfy and good value. Boring as hell
-Volvo V50/S40 T5 - As per the Octavia, plus the image

I appreciate it's quite a mixed bag, but hopefully you can see what I'm getting at.

So for the last time (promise) - spec me!

Man of Honour
So I still want to change, but I'm not ready to own what was a 35k car quite yet

I dont get it, can you explain what this means?

-Audi A4 2.0 - falls into the same cost/age category as the BMW
-Mondeo 2.5 V6 - fancy a change
-X-type V6 - dont really like the image

How are these any more hassle free?

When you strip away the stuff that has hassle potential you are left with a load of cars that are not really tangiably any better than your current one.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;16163085 said:
I dont get it, can you explain what this means?

How are these any more hassle free?

When you strip away the stuff that has hassle potential you are left with a load of cars that are not really tangiably any better than your current one.

You've pointed out on a few occasions that a car that cost 35k new will still cost 35k car money to run (Ok the 330ci is more like a 30k car new but thats the idea)

The audi's probably not even on the list for the same reasons as the BMW. I dont know much about the V6s in the Mondy/Jag, but thought they were pretty trouble free.

My mondeo needs a few bits and bobs done on the exterior, a replacement drivers seat (which is proving a pig to source so may end up being a new replacement) plus there were some advisories in the last MOT and service for a few bits, including the dreaded rear subframe bushes. So now seems like a good time to make the change.

The 2.4 Accord and S40 T5 are probably top picks at the moment, both are better cars in almost every way than my Mondeo

Associate
Bear in mind this is coming from someone who truely hates diesels (they belong in vans and trucks only) but you may as well stick with your Mondeo. Everything mentioned isn't much more interesting to drive.

A second cheap rwd car if you can find space to keep it would be a better use of funds. The e36 318is I picked up has been a revelation for me. It's so much more interesting to drive then the mondeo, in fact it makes it feel like a torque steery mess, and though slow, is much easier and less stressful to drive than the 200sx, especially in less than perfect conditions. It's actually more fun too. The Mondeo is a much better general car to live with though.

Soldato
OP
Save a bit more and get a car that's worth upgrading to.

Or just wait for those cars to drop into your budget.

Such as? As above, I dont want to be running 3.0 BMWs at this stage

Not really looking for an "upgrade", just a newer replacement and a change. More of the same, just a bit better

Soldato
OP
Bear in mind this is coming from someone who truely hates diesels (they belong in vans and trucks only) but you may as well stick with your Mondeo. Everything mentioned isn't much more interesting to drive.

A second cheap rwd car if you can find space to keep it would be a better use of funds. The e36 318is I picked up has been a revelation for me. It's so much more interesting to drive then the mondeo, in fact it makes it feel like a torque steery mess, and though slow, is much easier and less stressful to drive than the 200sx, especially in less than perfect conditions. It's actually more fun too. The Mondeo is a much better general car to live with though.

But I'm not really after a more interesting drive. More comfortable and refined, yes - more interesting, no....

Something with a modestly powered quiet petrol engine and a comfy leather interior will do me nicely. I can borrow my dad's 9-5 HOT Aero if I fancy going fast in a straight line, or his TF160 (soon to be an MX5) if I want a blast round the twisties - so my daily car is really just about dependability, specification and comfort

Man of Honour
It will be newer, lower mileage

But from the same generation, so other than a different number on the odometer and a different year on the plate what real difference does this make?

This is shaping up to be the most pointless car change ever.

Soldato
OP
Ok :)

How about an ST TDCI then.

fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

:)

I do just fancy a change, I've had the Mondeo for a few years now and I'm bored of it. It's done me just fine but I want a change.

Soldato
OP
I don't think even he knows what he is after.

Thus, he had a lust for a 330ci, get a 330ci.

I do know what I'm after. I was after something fast with good, precision handling - the 330ci ticked that box nicely.

But I'm not going to kid myself that I can run it for as much as the boring cars listed above and I'll get more enjoyment from seeing the world, doing up my flat etc than I would from a performance car

Soldato
At least try one as you get more kit and much better seats and stiffer suspension. The Mondeo is one of the best cars in it's class and the ST models are the top of the bunch.

Other things in the same price range may seem like a downgrade.

Associate
But I'm not really after a more interesting drive. More comfortable and refined, yes - more interesting, no....

From the list it looked looked like you were after something quicker and possibly more interesting. At motorway crusing speed a 4 pot deisel isn't that much worse than a smallish (<3l) petrol in terms of refinement. Id' be looking at a Volvo or Saab, with a low pressure turbo and without low profile tyres, if I just wanted something comfortable and fairly refined.

Back
Top Bottom