Is the Intel X25-M the overall best <£200 SSD?

Associate
Quick question, would be interested to know your answers as i'm probably going to purchase this finally tomorrow. I'm not too fussed about the extra space but seems this has the best reviews.

Or.. I could wait a month if there is going to be anything spectacular coming out ( Bearing in mind I don't have SATA III and would have to add the price of a PCI-E card for that ).

Also, it's been out a while.. and I haven't seen the price change much, is it still worth the money?

Thanks for your advice!

( I know you've all heard questions like this a hundred times before, I just want to make sure before purchasing )

Soldato
personally i would get the ocz vertex on this week's

The Crucial M225 is £20 cheaper, has a longer warranty, and performs the same.

I'm very happy with my 80GB intel, and trust me, you'll appreciate the extra space. Mine only cost me £170 delivered though.

Nothing interesting price/performance wise is going to happen until after summer, when we get 22nm NAND.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for your advice. The Vertex does look good, as it is £30 cheaper than the Intel,.. but also has 20gb less, so it's not much more for a little better I think, I will go with the Intel.
Another reason for my choice is admittedly feeling a little spiteful towards OCZ, after having to get my 6GB DDR3 Gold ram kit RMA'd twice and having to wait over a month and a half before my rig would actually work... and them charging me for the postage to do so.
I have never had anything Intel break on me ( Nor Western Digital as I was tempted towards that too ), so I'll go with the Intel.

Thanks, going to just take the leap tonight and buy it,... poor card :(.

Soldato
Intel still wins with overall performance imho due to its very good random write performance. I have the 80GB and I am still delighted with my purchase. No sign of any slowdown (THX windows7 & Trim).

Oh yeah, Im even using it on an old Intel ICH7r controller, which I believe was considered the guilty party in terms of SSD performance before people had figured out that it was the crummy IOPS of early SSD's that was at fault.

Associate
You'll get great performance from the Intel, and agree with jbloggs about value / performance. I was so impressed with this SSD I bought another shortly after the first!

Associate
And if the OCZ RMA address was in the UK, you should be able to claim your postage back from them as I believe they should be bound under the UK distance shopping laws and all that jazz :)

Back
Top Bottom