How fast are raptors?

Associate
Hibernate never has been useful :)
It's slower to boot from hibernate than it is to boot normally then open everything you had running before, and gets worse the more memory you have. There's also the disadvantage that your RAM will already be fragmented.
It may have some merit on laptops running on battery, it will auto hibernate so you don't suddenly lose your work.

uv

uv

Soldato
ssd drives are a better option than 10-15,000rpm disks

Sure, if you want to spend a billion pounds.

My raid-0 velociraptors load games incredibly quick, and cost me £80 second hand for both. If you can find me an SSD for £80 that will fit my Steam folder on, I'll eat one of my many hats.

Soldato
Has the new SSD blown your socks off then? If its arrived yet.

I'm wanting to go with an SSD, but I've always been a one-drive man. Plus I want to get rid of the mechanical drive all together, due to noise and vibration. So looking at a minimum 128MB size, which costs as much as my PC is worth :(

Associate
When raptors first came out, they totally blew all other drives out of the water, now the margin between them and regular hard drives isn't as noticeable, in my opinion

This.

I'd save for a good SSD instead, personally, get a real upgrade. Don't get me wrong the raptors are good but they fit in that annoying middle ground where you're paying quite a premium but they aren't giving you even a sliver of the benefit an SSD does (Thinking of access times here 8-9ms>4-5ms is not a patch on 8-9ms>0.1ms). The sequential read speed is actually slower than other drives available, too. (Samsung F3 being the prime example)

Soldato
OP
It has arrived this morning :)
Its such a tiny box and product for something so expensive, unfortunately I have had some bad news and my hands are a bit shakey at the moment so will try it this evening.

Also at the same time, I have to reseat my CPU and OcUK are delivering paste that I ordered today, tomorrow, for free. The reason I keep coming back to this place :D

Soldato
OP
Are these benchies looking OK?
Crucial225.png

To be honest, its not booting into windows as fast as I have heard. All this talk of "before the logo comes up" in my case hasn't happened.

I must say though, loading programs is a dream, its equivalent to having every program sidelined on your start bar and then just maximising it.

Associate
Glad to see you got it working and enjoying the benefits. The tall tales of near instant startup times are usually propgated by folks who don't actually have an SSD and for the most part, it's naive expectation. Applications however, do run like the proverbial off a shovel, as your starting to find out! :)

Soldato
The speeds look fine Sukh.

Most apps are instant for me, but programs like Photoshop/Premiere/After Effects and any IDE's like Netbeans don't load instantly - they open within half a sec or less.

PS: bhainechaude? :p

Soldato
OP
PS: bhainechaude? :p[/SIZE]

Lolz, took me a few seconds to clock on, thought you were trying some german :p

I think I will be selling the SSD on MM today. Its really fast and stuff, in windows everything loads instantly, but I don't use Photoshop any more or CAD or Music editor. I game.

Loaded up BFBC last night, and sure the game loaded faster but the map loading time was still the same, I think it is to do with having 2gb of vRAM on the GFX card. So the only real program I run everyday that I would want to be lighting like the rest, isn't due my GFX card ram (4890 with 2gb vram)

For now, as I can't see myself going back to photoshop, I'm going to sell it. I tried an install of photoshop, and I've never seen it open so fast.

SSD is like fighting with a Nuke, and Mechanical is like having a Bayonet.

Edit: I don't see why AHCI would speed up games instead of IDE?

Last edited:
Permabanned
agility60gb.png

30gbagilityraid0.png

my 60gb OCZ Agility SSD been using it since may09

still on old 1.3 firmware

never ever ran wiper on it or did any maintenance

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom