FS9 - For flight simmers

Associate
Question for all you flight simmers on the forum, is it worth installing FS9? I used to fly regularly, but then got FSX which seemed to have a graphics glitch with my GFX card that couldnt be solved so I have been put off for the last 6months.

Interested to know if there is still a mod community for FS9 and whether I can still use it online with vatsim etc. Wondering whether an AA glitch in FSX would also be in FS9 due to same engine too..

Cheers

Soldato
FS9 is still widely used in the Fsim community. I think most people I know still use it on vatsim.

What kind of gfx card had you issues with in FSX? It can be a pain to get going properly with it.

Soldato
sorry dont mean to 'take over your thread' but does anyone know where theres a place to buy addons for this? Seems to be very hard to pin-point a site that sells addons for this game, freeware is ok but its hard to find high quality freeware aircraft for example.

Soldato
sorry dont mean to 'take over your thread' but does anyone know where theres a place to buy addons for this? Seems to be very hard to pin-point a site that sells addons for this game, freeware is ok but its hard to find high quality freeware aircraft for example.

PMDG website is awesome place for payware aircraft. FSPilotShop is a good bet for addons.

Soldato
FS9 is alive and well and the mods and addons for it number in the thousands if you take into account airplanes & scenery! However it age is showing - not a factor if you fly IFR but if you enjoy eye candy then yea its lookin old. But that doesnt mean you cant have it looking good. Using just freeware you can make it look brilliant actually.

Interesting that you mention that you cannot use FSX because of an AA problem? AA is not being enabled? Even when you fly on fullscreen? What are your system specs? I would have another go at fixing it cuz FSX Acceleration really does look awesome :)

Associate
If you're having GFX issues in FSX first thing to ensure is the DX10 preview mode is off.

As ringo says FSX is FS10 and not FS9 which is otherwise known as FS2004 A Century of Flight

Associate
OP
What kind of gfx card had you issues with in FSX? It can be a pain to get going properly with it.

I get serious shimmering going on, on the autogen and distant water with ATI 4850. I installed FS9 in the end and it seems to have the same problem:( Ive managed to reduce it slightly but it still annoys me hugely:p Might try a flight later on and see if i can get used to it.

Soldato
I get serious shimmering going on, on the autogen and distant water with ATI 4850. I installed FS9 in the end and it seems to have the same problem:( Ive managed to reduce it slightly but it still annoys me hugely:p Might try a flight later on and see if i can get used to it.

Same issues here actually. Smooth gameplay but terrible shimmering on the trees. Not sure how to fix it but will look on some of the forums.

Associate
I vaguely remember MipBias in the FSX.CFG file may help here. It was a setting in FS9 and someone discovered it help in FSX too but I didn't think it helped my setup when I tried it some while ago.

Soldato
I vaguely remember MipBias in the FSX.CFG file may help here. It was a setting in FS9 and someone discovered it help in FSX too but I didn't think it helped my setup when I tried it some while ago.

I think that fix is only for nVidia cards when used along with clamping LOD Bias or whatever its called. I tried it the other night with my ATI card and no luck at all. In fact it looked worse than before.

Back
Top Bottom