Any common SQL questions you've been asked in an interview?

Soldato
As topic really. I'm not a DBA nor do I pretend to be though I know enough about SQL to get by. The job is going to be part SQL with full training provided though I wondered if there were any common questions people have been asked and to prepare for.

M.

Associate
Assuming we're talking about Microsoft SQL Server - I'd brush up on the concepts so when they ask about things like Stored Procedures, Triggers etc. you have a understanding of what they "are" even if you don't know how to create them.

As BRS says, displaying a basic understanding of how to construct a simple SELECT statement (with a basic INNER join) would be a good start :)

If they are giving full training it will at least show you're interested in the product.

Associate
Depends heavily on the position you are going for and the underlying server tech (Sybase, Oracle, DB2 etc).

App support then it could be basic concepts;
1. Basic select statement
2. Getting table, stored proc, trigger info
3. Checking server status
4. Using basic sql tools (isql etc).
5. Test on sql statments (i.e. what is the result)

Developer;
1. Tuning concepts for sql
2. Efficency of different constructs.
3. Nested transaction order.
4. Results from sql statements......

I mention the underlying tech as Oracle and Sybase for example have different methods for doing the same things......

Finding a tables' fields for example.
Sybase;
sp_help [tablename]
select * from [tablename] where 1=2

Oracle;
desc [tablename]

Note: I take it the Oracle is still valid as I have been on Sybase for the last 6 years :D.

Cheers
RB

Soldato
OP
Thanks again - very useful info.

I should have pointed out it was for MS SQL - but the information has been stored away in my head should I need it.. :)

M.

Soldato
OP
Yeah over the forthcoming months I'm going to have to learn a lot more about SQL - at least I now have a few 'reference' sites! Very useful info on there I must admit!

M.

Back
Top Bottom