PHP - Displaying Multiple Categories.

Soldato
Hi,

Having a little trouble here :(

I read a bit of tutorial - http://www.codeassembly.com/How-to-...pandable-categories-using-php-and-javascript/ - showing how to display categery levels for the following category structure :

CatID
Cat Name
Cat Parent ID

Where a cat parent id of 0 would mean a top level category.

Now this all works fine when I want to display the category tree for ALL category, but I'm really stuck as to how I can display one category trial for a given cat id

E.g. Top Cat Name > Sub cat 1 > Sub Cat 2

Any help muchly appreciated.

Thanks

Associate
Have a function that loops through all the categories with the parent ID of the the ID passed to it, then call the function from itself when a matching category id is found passing to it the id of the sub category, adding the id/name onto a string or maybe an array. It shouldn't get stuck in an infinite loop I guess if it only calls itself when a parent id matching the value passed to the function is found.

That's the theory I'd use anyway, if it makes any sense....

Soldato
OP
Anyone? :(

I've hit a brick wall at the mo. I need to display one node/branch for a given cat id E.g Home > Top Cat > Sub Cat > sub Sub Cat etc.

...for a parent / child datbase structure:

catID
catName
parent

Soldato
OP
Woohoo, in case anyoner is interested, here's the solution I came up with!

After much googling I randomly came across a solution which I changed a bit. It returns an array of category IDs - representing the path to a particular category ID.

As the fuction uses recusion, I'll only have a max of 7 levels too (beofre anyone points out that recusion is slow) :)

PHP:
function doBreadcrumb($catID) {
        $row = DB::getInstance->query("SELECT parent FROM categories WHERE ID = '$catID'")->fetch();

$parent_IDs = array();
        if (!$row['parent'] == '') {

$parent_IDs[] = $row['parent'];
            $parent_IDs= array_merge($this->get_path($row['parent']), $parent_IDs);
        }

return $parent_IDs;
    }

I'm actually chuffed to bits - how sad :)

Back
Top Bottom