• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5850 or 5870

Associate
Hey Guys, I'm just about to get myself a new card so its the normal 1million dollar question. The 5850 or the 5870, but first a little background info.

I'm a Nvidia fanboy. Ever since my MX440 but with the way nvidia are going. its time to take the plunge and try an ati.

I'm currently running a Q6600 clocked at 3.2Ghz so overclocking should be fine. But i run a Duel Screen setup, so overclocking may make my screens flicker.. fixes?

I'm on a relatively low budget but could possibly swing that extra £100 if needs be.

So which is it, take the ASUS 5850 and clock the balls off it? or take a 5870, and if so which one?

With regards to overclocking either card it needs to still run at a lower temp (my 8800 runs at 103c full load at stock and 100% fan speed?!)

Thanks in advance :D

Associate
OP
If you're that much of a fanboy have you not considered waiting a couple of weeks for Fermi??

My Card just burnt out, and in all fairness i think the Fermi is going to be so over priced like evrything else nvidia have done recently. Moving to a 260 or 270 was my other option based on price. From evrything i have been reading lately it just seems time to atleast try a single ATI.

Edit: and is there any official dates on Firmi yet? as i will be out of the country soon so only 4 days game less if so..

Associate
Been using my new 5850 today and i very impressed :D
Played a bit of AvP and it runs it really well.
5850 offers better value runs cool too.
Hope this helps

Soldato
Edit: and is there any official dates on Firmi yet? as i will be out of the country soon so only 4 days game less if so..

26th March is the official launch but looks more like a paper launch, apparently plenty of stock available by 6th April, but then again don't hold me to that :D

Associate
Simple answer yes.

Mine is pretty standard and has been running battlefield 2 @850 1100 all day, highest temp 72 at stock volts. Not quite as quick as the 5870 but near as dammit and certainly could be if I needed it.

I would certainly hold off buying one for a month though, a lot is happening with new 5000 designs and fermi coming out.

Last edited:
Associate
Simple answer yes.

Mine is pretty standard and has been running battlefield 2 @850 1100 all day, highest temp 72 at stock volts. Not quite as quick as the 5870 but near as dammit and certainly could be if I needed it.

I would certainly hold off buying one for a month though, a lot is happening with new 5000 designs and fermi coming out.

Nice! Yea I'll wait.

Associate
I had the same choice to make last week, 5870 or 5850... After plenty of looking around on forums I got a 5850 and not looked back. Was a great upgrade from my 8800 GTS.

Soldato
I also have the Sapphire 5850 and it is amazing. Even when being massively bottlenecked by my 5200 x2 athlon, it still gives me amazing frames rates and it runs cool.

Back
Top Bottom