*** Dell UltraSharp U2410 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor @ £447.99 inc VAT ***

Associate
I took a delivery of a A01 March10 yesterday and today is going back to the supplier, it still has heavy tinting this time green on the top right shifting to pink from the middle to bottom left.

and after seeing 6 U2410, A00, A01 different manufacturing periods, different suppliers, 2 of them even came from DELL UK at the cheap price of £486 each, I can say for sure that 6 out of 6 monitors I have bought (and sent back for a refund) have tinting from one degree to the other, conclusion is:

LG JUST CAN'T MAKE A PANEL THAT SHOWS A UNIFORM ALL SCREEN GREY/WHITE!

so stay away from this unit if you want to save yourself the hassle of keep exchanging/buying-refund as you have a 100% chance of getting some kind of tinting, do not order an A01 with the hope that the tinting problem is solved because is not, dithering in sRGB and AdobeRGB is fixed though.

Soldato
stay away from this unit

I know that's your opinion but having got through 6 screens it's quite obvious you're expecting too much or having the worst luck ever.

Sound like you're better off looking at another panel or different size. I wouldn't have the energy to get through 6, would stop at 2 and that's probably pushing it.

Are these problems actually effecting what you do though? To sell a £400 screen with apparent heavy green and pink tinting doesn't sound right to me.

Associate
Are these problems actually effecting what you do though? To sell a £400 screen with apparent heavy green and pink tinting doesn't sound right to me.

what do you do with a screen?? you look at it, and you look mostly at stuff like google.com, engadget.com, etc.etc.com basically the 99% of sites that have white pages or white ond left of right of the page, and all of a sudden the left border of the screen is greenish white whilst the right is pinkish white.
Or whilst using adobe InDesign you start a fresh template (white).....and look it already has some green color on it only on half of it though... or I am editing a picture and the sky is light blue on the right side and greenish blue on the left side...
Do you think we should put up with that after spending 400 pounds on a monitor which is advertised as premium color panel?

DELL is scamming customers with these units, there wouldn't have been an issue if they acted like HP or Apple which replace these units affected by this "feature", no they choose to ignore the customers and pretend that the tinting is not an issue but a "panel characteristic". So if is a "panel characteristic" why is apple replacing expensive 27" IPS panels on iMac customers and why is HP replacing Lp2475w monitors free of charge for affected customers or why has NEC implemented ColorComp on their IPS line of monitors? (a technology that let you set different brightness/color temperature for different areas of the screen).

Soldato
what do you do with a screen?? you look at it, and you look mostly at stuff like google.com, engadget.com, etc.etc.com basically the 99% of sites that have white pages or white ond left of right of the page, and all of a sudden the left border of the screen is greenish white whilst the right is pinkish white.
Or whilst using adobe InDesign you start a fresh template (white).....and look it already has some green color on it only on half of it though... or I am editing a picture and the sky is light blue on the right side and greenish blue on the left side...
Do you think we should put up with that after spending 400 pounds on a monitor which is advertised as premium color panel?

DELL is scamming customers with these units, there wouldn't have been an issue if they acted like HP or Apple which replace these units affected by this "feature", no they choose to ignore the customers and pretend that the tinting is not an issue but a "panel characteristic". So if is a "panel characteristic" why is apple replacing expensive 27" IPS panels on iMac customers and why is HP replacing Lp2475w monitors free of charge for affected customers or why has NEC implemented ColorComp on their IPS line of monitors? (a technology that let you set different brightness/color temperature for different areas of the screen).
I couldn't agree more. To release a screen like this with such obvious problems is just unforgivable. Screams of laziness and demonstrates a complete disrespect for the consumer. :mad:

Associate
I was thinking maybe I should just get a HP LP2475W since at least with that I know HP will change the monitor if it has the tint issue.... I dont know why Dell wont do this since their competitors, who have the same issue, are.

Associate
Returned the first monitor and decided to get the second one from OCUK (more reputable).

This second one has not noticeable tint but it on a white screen there seems to be two slightly darker horizontal bands on the screen. Im not sure what is causing this but the monitor is a rev A00 and the bottom of the box had 2009 11 13 on it in bold print (could this mean manufactured on the 13th November 09?).

I was wandering if running the screen for a while will get rid of the problem (The back light on time shows 23H 20M so far) or maybe its due to an uneven coat of the anti reflective layer put on these monitors?. Has anyone else had this problem?

* EDIT * Took a photo of the monitor showing a blank white screen:

You can just about make out the two dark spots in the upper and lower halfs of the screen.

Here is a photo using the Lagom viewing angles test:

Its slightly more pronounced using this test.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I couldn't agree more. To release a screen like this with such obvious problems is just unforgivable. Screams of laziness and demonstrates a complete disrespect for the consumer. :mad:

This is Dell we're talking about here, a company that releases several revisions of every screen they release to fix bugs but other bugs remain and then release a new hardware revision to fix those remaining bugs.

The last Dell screen I owned and/or used was the mighty 2007WFP and that was swapped twice before I got one that was uniform and even that had several A0* revisions.

Associate
No, my monitor was a guaranteed new A01 from an auction site.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but i was reading the dell monitor forums earlier (because i also have a u2410) and a Dell tech posted this :

There are not any "New" A01s. All the A01s are Used/Refurbished A00s that were repaired in the hub.

So basically you're buying a used monitor which was sent back to Dell because it was faulty.

Last edited:
Associate
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but i was reading the dell monitor forums earlier (because i also have a u2410) and a Dell tech posted this :

So basically you're buying a used monitor which was sent back to Dell because it was faulty.

Actually it was stated somewhere that they are shipping A01's directly now

Associate
Where abouts did you read that ? The dell tech's on the forum say that there are currently no plans to ship new A01's. They are all refurbs.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/monitors/review/2010/02/02/Dell-UltraSharp-U2410-24in-Monitor/comments

"Dell Technical Support will determine the appropriate method of installation on a case by case basis. At this time the upgrade is not available for customers to install themselves. Dell encourages all customers experiencing this dithering issue with their U2410 monitors to contact Dell Technical Support directly. Please note that all U2410 monitors which shipped after November 2009 come with this firmware revision pre-installed."

Associate
Hi guys,

I've just received the Dell U2410 from OCUK. How can I check (1) what firmware version it is running and (2) whether I have the tint and dithering issues? I'm not an expert on these things.

Many thanks.

Back
Top Bottom