CoolIT ECO A.L.C. and Corsair H50 Comparison / Review

Associate
OP
Hi Henry - If you fit a Domino on your AM3 board, you should be able to fit an ECO. Most AMD board come with a backplate included which we rely on to fit our coolers. Both Domino and ECO have the top retainer hardware included in the box but are fitted with Intel retainers by default. So as Helios was saying, you have to switch it up for the AMD one - on ECO it couldn't be easier - four screws and you are done.

The screws aren't long enough to reach the thread in the AMD bracket. The domino came with some things that had to be screwed into the amd bracket before the block is installed - these were long enough.

EDIT: BTW i did switch the top retainers to the AMD ones - the screws sit over the holes but just aren't long enough to grip the backplate.

Last edited:
Soldato
prooves CHEAPER IS BETTER WOOT :D
On the offchance you're not trolling... there are no definite results yet. The only thing we know for sure is that cheaper is cheaper :rolleyes:

Agreed (and there is only one "O" in the word proves ;)) :D

and the H50 appears better.....

Agreed ;)

I have to say I was unaware of the problems the ECO has had and the faulty early batch. Mine was purchased the day before I did the review. :( Come on CoolIT - sort it out. I've heard no reported problems with the Corsair and the mounting mechanism is impossible to fit incorrectly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't think fan RPM alone could account for the large difference...
I've been told by CoolIT reps that the Eco should be at least a couple of degrees cooler on avg. for all set-ups.

Perhaps you have one from their original batch which did (despite claims now to contrary) have issues, and subsequently was recalled.

http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/659826-cooit-eco-vantage-reviews-8.html
http://forums.vr-zone.com/hardware-arena/558516-1-last-hoot-b4-cny-coolit-eco-l-c.html#post7675152
http://www.clunk.org.uk/reviews/coolit-eco-a.l.c.-cpu-liquid-cooler-review/Page-5.html

I even recall one of their personnel explaining this to me a short while back.
There should be mostly the final revision out there now, hopefully, touch-wood.

Very much looking forward to: Helios, Jon, or Henry's revised results for both.
I think Henry's and Andy's don't show the true picture, not that I don't appreciate their efforts!

What was the lack of "the true picture" with my testing mate?

And I've just looked at those 3 reviews and they don't exactly paint a good picture of CoolIT products. Looks like they were having the same problems with the mounting bracket. Is this recognised as a problem by CoolIT?

Associate
Hi Guys - let me clear the air on this once and for all please

Everyone: I respect your intelligence and your work but please don't make statements to the public regarding our products using the words faulty or defective when that is just simply not the case. I am on here representing our company and our brand and am quite qualified to answer questions regarding design decisions, performance or installation myself.

Let me be 100% clear - there was no recall, there was no defective batch and there are no outstanding issues with ECO. End of story.

We made an improvement to our retainer that is all, companies make small adjustments to their products all the time so lets not blow this out of proportion please. Nothing was defective and nothing was faulty, it was simply just POSSIBLE to get the foot aka paddle of the retainer twisted to the side (as shown in AndyOCUK's picture) if you weren't paying attention during the install. If that happened, the block would not get a level seat... even if there was enough pressure to make contact w/ the thermal grease, it would not have been enough for optimal heat transfer which is why as I mentioned before, I don't believe his results aren't valid.

If we had a unit out to review that had the original retainer on it, we got it back and sent them the improved retainer not because the first one was defective but because the new one is better. ECO will exist for a year or more so you can understand why we would want the reviews to reflect the installation process that 99.9% of people will experience right?

We've sold many thousands of ECO's around the world with the original retention system without issue but when we recognize an opportunity to make an improvement, we take it. If a user does have the original and on the off chance install it wrong and experience poor performance, they will contact our support where they will be directed to the video I made that shows the correct orientation. The fix is of course backing out the screw a few turns, straightening that foot and tightening it back down. Not exactly the end of the world...

Sorry for the long post everyone. I hope you can appreciate my position and our candidacy as a manufacturer. We listen to our customers both big and small and make a concerted effort to constantly improve and innovate. Our platform is Advanced Liquid Cooling (A.L.C) - the integration of performance, ease of use, aesthetics and controls which is why I take exception to inaccurate statements about CoolIT and our products. I love what I do and am looking forward to continuing to share who we are, what we do and why we do it for a long time to come.

Open to feedback. PM or email [email protected]

Regards,

Barry

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
I'm confused: does his temper have fiery red hair - or is he a toughened ginger? :p

All of the above ;)

I'm just passionate about what I do guys. Different coolers are right for different people, I just want to make sure that the info available regarding our products is clear and accurate so if it is a good choice for you... you can make that decision.

Cheers,

Barry

Associate
I just got the eco and installed it yesterday. Honestly, I'm not impressed at all. First it took me over 2 hrs to get it to install properly without the foot/retainer constantly getting spun around. Then after that, my temps are much ~ 5 degrees higher at load that the Akasa Nero cooler I had on it before. I thought the problem with the retainer was fixed with the retail coolers. I'm not happy...at all

Last edited:
Associate
I'm subscribed for instant email feedback...
But I didn't get an email till about 48hrs later, & there was over a dozen posts in between.
Has anyone else noticed this?

What was the lack of "the true picture" with my testing mate?

I thought you agreed with hotwired?
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=16226873&postcount=107

There were posts earlier on indicating that one or two things may have been missed, but it was prolly the most useful contribution so far.
Plus as I've highlighted, there is a definite tinge of QC related problems (at least very early on) for the Eco.
So you may have had one of the dodgy ones, or maybe not.

Helios or Jon, are you guys still planning to release some results comparing the two?
Thank-you very much!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm subscribed for instant email feedback...
But I didn't get an email till about 48hrs later, & there was over a dozen posts in between.
Has anyone else noticed this?

I thought you agreed with hotwired?
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=16226873&postcount=107

There were posts earlier on indicating that one or two things may have been missed, but it was prolly the most useful contribution so far.
Plus as I've highlighted, there is a definite tinge of QC related problems (at least very early on) for the Eco.
So you may have had one of the dodgy ones, or maybe not.

Helios or Jon, are you guys still planning to release some results comparing the two?
Thank-you very much!

Some of my results are above. :)

Back
Top Bottom