Russian 'Nuke' Bombers Invade British Airspace - Just wanted to discuss this

Soldato
246mb6c.jpg

2hfukxz.jpg

swg2lh.jpg

This cat and mouse game has went on for years as people have said. It happened day in/day out during the height of the Cold War. The Russians still enjoy a little visit it seems :D

Capodecina
Soldato
I just saw this article on yahoo news, http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100325/tuk-russian-nuke-bombers-invade-british-45dbed5.html and was wondering what you guys think of this?
I'd like to hear your feedback.
From your bleedin' link:
Wing Commander Mark Gorringe, commander of 111 Squadron, said: "This is not an unusual incident. People may be surprised to know that our crews have successfully scrambled to intercept Russian aircraft on more than 20 occasions since the start of 2009."
:rolleyes:

Caporegime
Happens all the time.

Although how often do you think we are checking up on them? A lot more than folk think I would hazard a guess at.

Associate
We're one of the very few nuclear powers in the world and still a big hitter in the world of finance, pretty much still that superpower.

not a chance fella we were once far more dominant than the us is now. we OWNED the seas from trafalgar to ww1 we had a huge empire

Associate
20 times since the start of 2009?

I'm sorry but next time we should have the safety off and missle lock on them, giving them instructions to leave immediately......and if not, bye bye.

Edit: I do not doubt for one moment, if this was the other way round they'd have shot down one of ours.

not a chance mate i dont think weve got any bombers any more :p

Soldato
Btw where do these russian planes actually take off and land? Surely they don't come all the way from Russia itself.

They do infact. The TU-160's homebase is Engels Air Force Base, which is in the Saratov region of south-western Russia. However, they do also forward deploy them to airfields on the Kola peninsula too, which backs onto Norway and Finland, so to speak.

Associate
Come on fellas, I expected more from you, THIS IS ENGLAND! how can they mess with us???!!!3434 we're the great british empire, lol, we're a 1st world country, maybe we're small and people call us an island, but we did good in WW2 didnt we, and I thought we were quite strong, why dont we smash them to peices when they come near us? Who do they think they're??3/2?£$?$

THIS IS ENGLAND!!! LOL

Go back 200 years and yes.
Now, Dont think so, we gave it all away. :rolleyes:

Associate
I was going to make some informative comments and try and clarify a few things where possible here, but once I got to page 3 I realised it'd be totally pointless to attempt serious conversation.

It happens all the time, and has done since the 50's and it will continue to happen, the press to like to run a story like this once a year or so to sell papers etc, then they forget about it for a while. It's nothing to get your knickers in a twist over, it's what we have quick reaction alert aircraft for.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17756405&highlight=Typhoon+intercept

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17769572&highlight=Typhoon+intercept

If you can't get your head around it, go back to scouring the internet for free pr0n and playing computer games ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
i dont think a war could start by shooting down a jet violating an airspace , you see for 35 years there are daily violations over the Aegean with over 20 aircraft downed from each side (GR-TR) and nothing happened...one of them (took place in 1996) is a confirmed kill (Greek mirage2000 shooting down a Turkish F-16) .

ALso violating the airspace and flying over land is a different thing afaik , if this bomber was crossing over the north of the UK then i think the reaction from the RAF would be different

Back
Top Bottom