MSI Motherboard Owner- READ THIS!!

Soldato
Its quite an interesting read I used to own an MSI mobo which is why I must still be on a mailing list somewhere. Glad they sent this as it will let people know never to buy one if they implement this form of outrageous spying on your OCing habits :eek: :eek:

"The MSI-forum and MSI-support team are fed-up with explaining you what can be found in the manual.
I mean, come on, how hard is it to read a manual?

They are printed on paper so you see them.

We have been talking to MSI for a couple of years and came up with a solution.
It has been implemented on a few boards for some time and with big success.
It had various names, like CoreCenter (1st gathering tool) upto DrMOS (fully automatic)

Some of you noticed because Windows wanted you to install a driver, but you couldn't find the manufacturer.
On AMD systems this was called the Away-driver.

What you didn't know is this, this driver activates the RTFM-chip. (Re-Turn inFormation to Manufacturer chip)
It means it can detect if you read a manual as well stores the parameters you have set in the BIOS.
As soon as you start Windows we are informed about your settings and manual readings.

As we have been monitoring peoples behavior for some time and combined those with the RMA information from returned boards.
At the same time monitoring questions on the forum and matched the IP's.
We have made a discovery.

A lot of RMA is unneeded and unwanted, many happens due to user mistakes, numbers show that 90% of the RMA is OC people killing boards and
newbies connecting the wrong connectors or insert parts that should not be inserted.
Or simply forget to remove standoffs or CPU-power.
MSI plans on tackles those numbers, and the RTFM-chip will give a readout of what you have done when it did post or attempted to post!

Checking on you isn't new, Homeland-security done this ever you installed XP-SP3 or above, but their info in encrypted so useless to MSI.
So MSI decided to ban people from support, RMA and the forum who has done the damage themselves or didn't read the manual the first of next month.
We know who you are, and we have gathered enough information via our RTFM-chip.

The only question is, should MSI continue to do this? As some information is real bad.
Will this hurt your relation towards MSI products?

Please let us know, as we have to talk to MSI management the first of next month and make them decide what to do with the information.

To unsubscribe from these announcements, login to the forum and uncheck "Receive forum announcements and important notifications by email." in your profile.

You can view the full announcement by following this link:

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=136806.0

Regards,
The MSI HQ User to User Forum Team."

Soldato
Some over reacting forum admin by the sounds of it, I've used the forum a bit and it's not too bad at times, I told someone about how ram needed to be in the black slots furthest away from cpu lga1156 socket,
Next thing I had an argument with a admin as he didnt believe it, so I pasted the manual for him, seems even the admin dont read manuals on that forum before giving out advice.

Soldato
Glad they sent this as it will let people know never to buy one if they implement this form of outrageous spying on your OCing habits

lol, do you know what RTFM means? Go look it up.

It's a joke. :p

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Reading that thread on the MSI forum, a lot of those guys have had one serious sense of humour failure. Jesus wept.

I'd like to know if these people really think that any mobo manufactuer could create a chip that can....

AWPC said:
detect if you read a manual

....and if so what colour the sky is on their world....

Permabanned
Seems they just couldn't wait for the 1st, nothing like jumping the gun :)

'Please let us know, as we have to talk to MSI management the first of next month and make them decide what to do with the information.'

Its still a terrible fail of an April fools joke IMO.

And people who complain about it on the forum simply get mocked and banned by the mods :x

Such a wonderful joke.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well they have just deleted the whole thread on msi forum, its was allready 4 pages long with complaints mainly, i put mine in and 2 minutes later it was all gone, the person that sent the email was in there posting away as if nothing was wrong with it

Permabanned
Well they have just deleted the whole thread on msi forum, its was allready 4 pages long with complaints mainly, i put mine in and 2 minutes later it was all gone, the person that sent the email was in there posting away as if nothing was wrong with it

Yep, the thread has already been removed, and I were banned for posting a link to MSI support and asking for people who didnt like it to report Bas and ask for his sacking.

I have my ticket open with MSI support anyway, will be funny to read what they have to say about it.

Soldato
Yep, the thread has already been removed, and I were banned for posting a link to MSI support and asking for people who didnt like it to report Bas and ask for his sacking.

I have my ticket open with MSI support anyway, will be funny to read what they have to say about it.

He has just deleted the latest thread about it, after he insulted all of the posters, telling them to get a life and such.

edit, just received this message from 'bas' the forum admin

msi-1.png

edit 2, he banned me aswell

msi2-1.png

time to open a ticket with MSI direct

Last edited:
Soldato
No such thing as bad publicity I suppose. What a ******* stupid thing for Bas to do nonetheless.

That said, 90% of rma's down to user error sounds about right to me. Overclocking doesn't generally void warranty on motherboards, though if you push a board hard enough to set the mosfets alight it isn't terribly subtle.

Back
Top Bottom