Linux getting user friendly? Pfft.

Soldato
I don't know who made that lie up. I downloaded the wubi installer for Ubuntu 10 today, ran it, tapped in the password and it gave me some odd error about a log file and exited, ran it again and it then said it couldn't install as the Ubuntu directory existed, deleted the directory, ran it again and it installed.

Logged in, got a message about proprietry drivers for my Video card, clicked activate and it froze, had to restart.

No message this time about proprietry drivers, god knows how I get them now, so ignored them for the time being, downloaded Skype, ran the install, the window froze when trying to download additional files.

Not a good start, I have a working internet connection as I can use firefox etc but it seems to hate downloading packages, any idea's before I uninstall it and forget linux for another few years?

Soldato
Why are you using alpha software as a new comer? you want ubuntu 9.10, as it's the current stable version.

Download the proper iso image, burn at slow speed onto a quality CD, check against the checksum.

Put disk in drive with windows running and run wubi.

Soldato
OP
Why are you using alpha software as a new comer? you want ubuntu 9.10, as it's the current stable version.

Download the proper iso image, burn at slow speed onto a quality CD, check against the checksum.

Put disk in drive with windows running and run wubi.

Sorry, it is 9.10, Wubi installed it over the internet, I'm just trying to fathom why it won't download packages, I assumed the terminal view would show it wgetting or something but that shows nothing either, the window just sit's at 0% and freezes.

I'm also not a newcomer and even if I had installed 10, it's not in Alpha, it's in Beta and is due for release next month.

Last edited:
Soldato
There is no Ubuntu 10. Each release goes by say 2010, which is where the ten comes from and 04 is the month, hence 10.04.

I would download the full 650mb iso and burn it to a CD properly. It still includes wubi.

Soldato
I imagine the (large) download corrupted slightly. I've always installed from a cd, which I've verified the checksum of beforehand. I've also avoided wubi on the grounds that installing linux within windows has bad news written all over it, perhaps it would be a better plan to test it using virtualbox.

Oddly I thought this was going to be someone complaining that ubuntu was now "user friendly" to the point of being infuriating to use.

Associate
The drivers were for your display, they will stop things being as slow as crap. The other reason things are slow as crap is because you're running it in a virtual filesystem on top of ntfs. Try a USB or live cd version.

Soldato
I want a windows installer way to install files, I am not a idiot, but do not want to compile.

Then use Windows. Linux != Windows, it never will. Linux provides alternatives to compiling, any modern distribution will come with a package manager where you simply search & press install -> job done.

Permabanned
As for installing apps. it isn't, I want a windows installer way to install files, I am not a idiot, but do not want to compile.

I am just making a joke :D

you linux guys have it easy these days, i learnt linux on slackware and suse where the only way to install apps was to compile from source, and you had to google the error messages and hunt down the dependencies... (at the least) these days it is all done for you with package management. big deal you have to work on the command line...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The drivers were for your display, they will stop things being as slow as crap. The other reason things are slow as crap is because you're running it in a virtual filesystem on top of ntfs. Try a USB or live cd version.

2 things, learn to read and then read up on how WUBI actually installs *buntu.

Associate
2 things, learn to read and then read up on how WUBI actually installs *buntu.

Wubi installs it within an ext2 filesystem on your windows partition, the only way to have it in a proper dedicated partition is to transfer the install to another physical partition via lvpm, how exactly was I wrong in explaining how this works to you?

Learn to read? Now you want help, yet you're coming on here insulting people who can actually help you? And you never even included your hardware in the original post (so we're supposed to guess what restrictred drivers you cocked up installing)? Well excuse me while I pull a wand out my ass and magic your 'layer 8' problem away.

In the meantime read the wiki or learn to be polite.

Back
Top Bottom