• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Nvidia GTX480 & 470 reviews & discussion***

Soldato
Yes, the GTX 480 offers great performance in our test games, especially in Dirt 2 and Bad Company 2, but compared to the competition, it doesn't make a strong enough case for itself, especially when you consider that there are just so many caveats involved with buying this card. The higher price, the 100W of extra power consumption, scorchingly hot temperatures and a much noisier stock cooler are all extremely detrimental to its desirability. The HD 5870 remains a far better choice if you're a gamer; while we've yet to see how the GTX 480 performs with CUDA apps and Folding, at this stage Fermi looks like a flop.

Bit-tech, says it all really, flop...:D

Deleted member 76686

D

Deleted member 76686

The card ended up where I predicted it would many months ago, basically overall a bit faster but certainly not worth the wait, price, heat, etc over the 5870.

Soldato
Why would they? They've been trying to flog the GTX285 at around £300 for months!

Simply because they need to sell stuff.

Or maybe nvidia will make enough money selling GT 220s to OEMs and these cards will stay at silly prices and nobody will buy them.

At least nVIDIA can claim fastest single GPU in a few benchmarks. These top end cards are always more about reputation than revenue.

Caporegime
Simply because they need to sell stuff.

Or maybe nvidia will make enough money selling GT 220s to OEMs and these cards will stay at silly prices and nobody will buy them.

At least nVIDIA can claim fastest single GPU in most of the benchmarks. These top end cards are always more about reputation than revenue.

fixed :p

Associate
I've always respected bit-tech and yet again they've proved that they're not afraid to give a bad mark to an important product. I can't believe the power requirements of the GTX480 - it's unbelievable for a single-GPU card. Obviously dual GPU cards like the GTX295 and the 5970 are going to have crazy requirements but not for a single card.

Deleted member 76686

D

Deleted member 76686

Give it a couple of weeks and these will be much closer to the HD5870 and HD5850 in price.

Shame about the power consumption or I could see a price war happening.

I can assure you they won't.

Associate
Seems like nVidia were willing to do anything to make the fastest single GPU card on the market, even if it meant a vast increase in power consumption.

Looks like there isn't much hope for a dual GF100 based card, unless nVidia can find a way to dissipate 500W of heat.

Soldato
I've been an nvidia fan for years but I think I'll be putting all my chips on red now, just can't be dealing with the higher power consumption, temps, price, for marginal gains, I'm gonna try and hang on a little longer though and wait for an ati price drop.

Unfortunately we need Nvidia to start shipping a full range of cards again before price reductions can take effect. Until then, ATI cant lower the prices even if they want to.

Associate
Guys, I'm looking to Tri-SLI GTX 480's, any ideas on the best PSU to go for and what case?

You'll note there have been some extremely funny replies: D, but honestly with a single card hitting the mid 90s, I'm not sure there is a case currently available that could offer adequate cooling for that setup unless you switched to water cooling. The middle card is going to fry no matter what, even with just two I think you'd struggle (and I'm not an ATI minion).

Nevertheless, two possible candidates might be

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-003-TR&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=1479 (there is certified "Fermi" edition of this exact case, but the only difference is in the branding, this one is physically identical).

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-066-SV&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=1092

Three large, unobstructed fans along the bottom of the case, the middle one directly in front of the video card area. The vertical mounting system means all heat is propelled upwards and out of the case as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom