• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Nvidia GTX480 & 470 reviews & discussion***

Soldato
Just spotted the Gainward 480 for £428 and the 470 for £299 from a major retailer. Not so bad really compared to the pricing of other 480/470's on other sites.

I reckon given a bit of time and competition these cards should come down to more reasonable prices.

Soldato
i think the gtx 470 has its place if the price dropped by £50...but that will mean nvidia will lose even more money

They won't lose any more money, because that's practically what the price of the cards is in America. But when we get all these new goodies we get shafted right in the ass by VAT and then add on top the retailers cut.

Idle = 25W of difference between 480 and 5870, so
25/1000 [kW] x 8760 [hours] x 0.15 [GBP/kWh] = £40/ year

Based on your scenario, the difference betwen a 480 and 5870
Idle = 25/1000 [kW] x 50 [hours/ week] x 52 [weeks] x 0.15 [GBP/kWh] = GBP9.75
GPU Load = 100/1000 x 6 x 52 x 0.15 = GBP4.68
TOTAL = GBP14.43/ year

Difference between a 480 and 5850 underload is around 150W so saving would be GBP16.77/year

Is that bolded part correct ?, shouldn't that = £32.85 ?

Soldato
They won't lose any more money, because that's practically what the price of the cards is in America. But when we get all these new goodies we get shafted right in the ass by VAT and then add on top the retailers cut.

you know what, this is the only time i hoped i was a yank, and i really hate america...

Soldato
budgets suck.

Just orderd new fans (21CFM more, while being quieter, so win) These will make my GPU loop cooler, while also meaning my case (from the other 2 of them) will be at negativ epreassure and as such draw in more air from the vents around the gpus.
Ordered 2 1slot SLI tubes.
new springs and clamps.

Now just need EK to release their blocks, no way in hell Tri SLI is going in under air.

jij

jij

Associate
I've been waiting for months for this. What a let down!
So I've just been down to Tottenham Court Road to pick Sappire VapourX 5870. What difference from my old GTX275. Dirt 2 is brilliantly playable maxed at 1920x1200. Incredible. Also Battlefield BC2 runs like a dream. No annoying stuttering like on the Nvidia. The GTX275 will be on ebay soon! RIP.

Soldato
I'm getting sick of people slating ATI's recent drivers when the vast silent majority are loving them and seeing constant performance gains. I've not had any problems and I've tried umpteen different officials and betas lately, all have been better than the last. If driver updates don't fix your problems be a man and at least consider the possibility of PEBCAK or your system being at fault.

Too true.

Unless there is something wrong with your system or you can't follow simple instructions, the ATI drivers are fine to use and have been for some time.

Sure there are some things I would like improved, like a more streamlined interface and automated application profiles (like with nvidia), on the whole, I have very little to complain about, especially when it comes to important things such as stability. CCC has come along quite a bit in recent times, and isn't the bloated piece of junk it used to be in the past.

Associate
Just spotted the Gainward 480 for £428 and the 470 for £299 from a major retailer. Not so bad really compared to the pricing of other 480/470's on other sites.

I reckon given a bit of time and competition these cards should come down to more reasonable prices.

i see that aswell but even at those prices its still way overpriced

Soldato
app profiles are immensly usefule for quad sli. since you can enable things that arent in the game menus etc, but also like disabling 3 cards for old games and stuff, so power is only used when you really need it.

For a single gpu system i have basically never used them though.

Soldato
Given how I don't play old games that bug out with SLI/CF, and I expect games to have all the options I need I still see no use in them

Soldato
First, the good news: idle power consumption is pretty good and the GTX 480 uses just a bit more than the HD 5970. Now for the not so great news: the GTX 480 uses 137 additional watts compared to the AMD single-GPU Radeon HD 5870 card. That is an increase of 44% of TOTAL SYSTEM POWER not just GPU power. Consider the HD 5870 was rated at 188w and the GTX 480 was rated at 250w (a difference of only 62w) something doesn't add up.

capturezz.jpg

Amazing!

Soldato
I'm so happy that for once I made the right decission, I've been playing all my games maxed for months now instead of waiting for fermi. Love my 5870 and nvidia as given me no reason not to.

Thanks Nvidia :)

Soldato
So the issue here is Adobe rather than you actually needing the 480...

What? :confused: I didn't say there was any issue, I said the 470 was one of the few cards that will work with the CUDA accelerated elements of the CS5 suite. You said surely any CUDA enabled card would work, I pointed out you were wrong. It's nothing to do with Adobe's 'issues' or me needing anything, especially a card I never mentioned :confused:

People a little more highly strung than usual around here?

Caporegime
Oh god. Just found out i have a 20% voucher on a certain 4 lettered auction site which expires tomorrow and now there is a horrible 'must upgrade gfx card' part of me that wants to click order on a brand new sealed XFX 5870 :(.

Back
Top Bottom