Steam refunds?

Caporegime
That can't be Steams responsiblity?

Steam are selling you a product, It's the developers that should ensure the game works.

Regardless of whose fault it is, it's in Valve's interests to make sure purchases on Steam are smooth and the user is satisfied.

Knowingly selling games that don't work on current hardware makes them look bad, in many people's (tho apparently not yours!) eyes.

Soldato
If it's released on Steam, then yes you should expect it to work. They should write new executables that work with the newer OS if the old ones aren't up to it

I'm sorry but no, just no.

Google.co.uk -> Does xxx steam work on xxx.

Three second job as opposed to what you're suggesting which is to reverse engineer the game. Just inspired.

Associate
Not sure about that, in the UK at least if you buy a PC game you are NOT allowed to return it because it doesnt work or wont run. because of the system specs, i am not sure if there would be anything you could to if the game didnt work other then if the game disc wouldnt read

Thats not true, you are - the stores just tell you that you are not - its the sales of goods act.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/DG_182935

All you do is say its faulty - the customer is always right.

I returned an Xbox to HMV after nearly 2.5 years lol, because it had a fault that wasnt the 3 rings of death. They replaced it for me too - and I didnt have a receipt just bank statement was enough for proof of purchase.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Three second job as opposed to what you're suggesting which is to reverse engineer the game. Just inspired.

You can do a lot to support older games without any reverse engineering. See nHancer, DXWindower, etc.

Steam could probably knock up some kind of wrapper program to support these old games.

Or if you can't make them work... don't sell them. The absolute worst thing would be to sell them as-is, and then refuse returns. That's lazy and unhelpful.

Don
That can't be Steams responsiblity?

Steam are selling you a product, It's the developers that should ensure the game works.

Sorry, when I said 'they', I did mean the developers. I just think they developers should work with Steam to make sure that games being sold will work without the user having to faff about

When they released the Doom games, at least they wrapped them with dosbox (should have used one of the better Doom clients, but there you go). This meant they did work for everyone

Last edited:
Caporegime
Sorry, when I said 'they', I did mean the developers. I just think they developers should work with Steam to make sure that games being sold will work without the user having to faff about

When they released the Doom games, at least they wrapped them with dosbox (should have used one of the better Doom clients, but there you go). This meant they did work for everyone

If it's not Steam it's going to have to be the current IP holders, since in quite a few cases the development studios no longer exist.

Associate
Thats not true, you are - the stores just tell you that you are not - its the sales of goods act.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/DG_182935

All you do is say its faulty - the customer is always right.

I returned an Xbox to HMV after nearly 2.5 years lol, because it had a fault that wasnt the 3 rings of death. They replaced it for me too - and I didnt have a receipt just bank statement was enough for proof of purchase.

which works for Consoles but for PC games they (stores) can say that you didnt check to make sure the game is compatible with your hardware. I know people that tried returning PC games to shops due to problems such as :

error reading the disc
Wont Install
Game crashes or freezes

and they all got refused stating that either they didnt read the requirements correctly or that they could have gotten the game created an ISO of it and then returned it. Due to how easy it is to copy a game it makes it so much harder to return a product that doesnt work.

i have been with people when trying to get a refund from a a 4 letter shop with a pink sign (should know who they are!) and the person i was with was flat out refused a refund even though his machine was a high end gaming desktop and on other peoples the game would run perfect while being on a lesser machine but on his he had trouble installing, trouble for the disc to be read, and even when he managed to get it installed it would simply crash when ever he tried to run it with updated drivers and everything and the shop still said no

Soldato
I know a guy (wasn't me) who had issues getting a copy of NWN2 to work. The game just wouldn't install past about 65%, no matter what I - I mean he - tried. Even on 2 other machines, my dad's and my ex's. Obviously returning PC games is a massive hassle, so he eventually scratched it with a pin before returning it to the store for a full refund - clearly the disk was unusable from the very start, and he got my money back. His money. Not something I'd do.

Caporegime
I've returned PC games to shops before. At least twice, both cases because they didn't work.

Obviously it depends how nice the store manager is feeling, and if he isn't, how persistent you are, and whether you mind threatening people until you get your way.

Permabanned
I wouldnt say never, this happened to me with lost journey which i bought to keep me busy whilst i was waiting for my internet connection when i moved into my new flat.
It required a 64bit patch, as i didnt have the internet, this product was faulty.
I went crazy in the store and the manager eventually gave me an exchange etc.

Abit annoying really, they can't prove it has anything to do with your system speccs..

This ^

The no refunds policy on PC is games is just that, a policy. If it does not work on your system and that system meets or exceeds the recommended specs on the box any high street retailer will give you a refund. They may huff and puff a bit but if you stick to your guns they will.

The product is sold as is and unless it states that it requires an internet connection then patches cannot be used to fend off the refunds. I've yet to not walk out of the store with my money back for PC games that i've taken back, they take some persuading but at the end of the day they have to.

Back
Top Bottom