Games that have 5.1 Sound

Associate
Hey guys i have orded a 5.1 surround sound set up for my pc are there any games that support true 5.1 sound... encoded with it like a dvd movie? would like to try some any reccomendations ? not bothered about genre i like all sorts of games.

Thanks,

Kall.

Associate
OP
correct me if im wrong but i thought like 99% of pc games in the past 5 or so years support surround sound.

Oh right didnt know that if you look at dvd film case though it normally says 5.1 dolby digital encoded they dont to put that on back of pc games cases i just wondered why they would not flag that on the back of the case with the rest of the system specs ??

Last edited:

Ste

Ste

Soldato
You either need an amp/processor/etc. that accepts 3 stereo analogue inputs (front, back, centre/sub) or a soundcard that will encode to dolby digital on the fly

Permabanned
well i think thats because for dvd's they have to if they use either dolby or DTS, whereas pc games use their own encoding or what have you.

Didn't Age of Conan use some form of Dolby surround sound? I only have 2.1 speakers so i don't really pay too much attention but that stuck in my mind for some reason.

Caporegime
well i think thats because for dvd's they have to if they use either dolby or DTS, whereas pc games use their own encoding or what have you.

It's not encoded at all. It's generated as 5 channels, and sent out over 5 channels ;)

If it were encoded it'd be generated as 5 channels, and merged into one stream, which would then be decoded somewhere else back into 5 channels.

"On the fly" encoding, such as Dolby LIVE and DTS Connect, is used when you have a Dolby/DTS decoder connected to your PC. Most people don't. Then you have 5.1 > 1 stream > 5.1 again, and it introduces sound lag as that's a lot of work to be doing in real time.

Caporegime
Hey guys i have orded a 5.1 surround sound set up for my pc are there any games that support true 5.1 sound... encoded with it like a dvd movie? would like to try some any reccomendations ? not bothered about genre i like all sorts of games.

Thanks,

Kall.

the audio in games is done o nthe fly so most can do single althe way to 7.1 +

Caporegime
If OP has bought a surround sound setup like you would attach to a DVD player, and it just has digital inputs (Optical or Coax), then it's pretty much useless for gaming.

If OP has bought a 5.1 setup with individual analogue inputs (3 mini jacks/ 6 phono), then all is well, and all he needs is a soundcard with 5.1 outputs (3 mini jacks).

Associate
OP
If OP has bought a surround sound setup like you would attach to a DVD player, and it just has digital inputs (Optical or Coax), then it's pretty much useless for gaming.

If OP has bought a 5.1 setup with individual analogue inputs (3 mini jacks/ 6 phono), then all is well, and all he needs is a soundcard with 5.1 outputs (3 mini jacks).

Aye i have bought a logitech x540 sytem and have a creative sound card with 4 mini jacks on the back but my amp for my Tv set up as you say has only digital coax and optical and phono inputs for cd tape deck ect....

so if i ever wanted too hook up a pc to a amp and play on a tv i would have to have one with four mini jacks on the back?? cant see me doing that but just wonderd if it's possible or could you get around it by buying somthing like.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SC-065-CL&groupid=701&catid=11&subcat=

and running a optical lead to your amp?

Caporegime
Although your TV probably just does stereo, no? You can send a stereo signal over coax or optical, you simply lose the other channels, but it requires no decoding.

Back
Top Bottom