Asus rampage III Extreme

Permabanned
Hmmmmmm ....

I wonder if this board would be able to handle my 12 Gb ram at 2133 Mhz =O

It probably still wont manage as the Memory Controller is on the CPU.

Permabanned
It says it can handle 6 dimms at 2200 Mhz, but on LGA1366 the memory controller is on the CPU, not the motherboard.

Currently I can only reach 1800 Mhz, so I'll get to try overclocking my 2133 ram some more :)

Associate
That new UD7 looks more akin to a EVGA 4x board with a horrible form factor. I like that the RoG boards at least fit in most decent mid-tower cases. Uses 2x NF200 aswell. Ugh! Still it looks good (red/black is getting old fast) and it seems to use MSI-like DrMOS vrms.

Helios1234, if you dont mind me asking what are the bios fan options like? Any chance of a screenshot? All the headers are 4-pin so it would be a shame to waste them. :)

Soldato
That new UD7 looks more akin to a EVGA 4x board with a horrible form factor. I like that the RoG boards at least fit in most decent mid-tower cases. Uses 2x NF200 aswell. Ugh! Still it looks good (red/black is getting old fast) and it seems to use MSI-like DrMOS vrms.

Helios1234, if you dont mind me asking what are the bios fan options like? Any chance of a screenshot? All the headers are 4-pin so it would be a shame to waste them. :)

I didn't check but I won't be able to have a look till tomorrow evening or Sunday now. I'll let you know when I get back to my computer.

Permabanned
The I7 970 should be released in Q3 at $500, so around the same price as this mobo. It should have a better multi at 3.2 ghz than the 920 or 930. This board was made for it.

rpg

rpg

Associate
The I7 970 should be released in Q3 at $500, so around the same price as this mobo. It should have a better multi at 3.2 ghz than the 920 or 930. This board was made for it.
That's what I'm waiting for too. Spending £350 on a motherboard is bad enough but £900 on a CPU (i7-980X) is just crazy. The i7-930 will be perfect for the moment until the i7-970 comes out.

Permabanned
FFS, I wish that I had some patience...

£329 seems like a reasonable price for a board like this, if only I held off buying the RIIE. :(

Buy the R3E, and put your R2E on the market :)

From having had a high end X48 motherboard before, I'm certain that the top end X58 motherboards will be worth a gem after they are discontinued after the next gen is released, and would be very easy to sell.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've only just finished building my rig around the RIIE, and I had a really crappy time putting it all together, I had to rip it all apart 3 times and rebuild it because of leaky Bitspower fittings, so I don't think I will be tearing it apart any time soon, so I'll just have to stick with what I have for the time being.

I don't like the look of that new UD7, I've never liked Gigabyte's color scheme.

Soldato
If you look in between the last slots on the Gigabyte picture you can actually see it listed as a GA-X58A-UDP7. While it'll be a good board I don't think it will quite be a RoG competitor. Asus seem to have nailed that area completely.

Knowing Gigabyte well, it would not surprise me if the board did not get released as it appeared on the picture if at all.

Permabanned
Oh, water cooling setups probably arent so easy to take apart and reassemble.

Putting in lots of fans is easier :). Ive taken my current board out 3 times to reseat the CPU heatsink though as something was very wrong with my temperatures. After I used MX3 with the quad core line method though my temps are several degrees better than both the H50 and Megahalems temps in reviews rather than being worse.

Back
Top Bottom