Which sweetner tastes most like real sugar?

Soldato
Silver Spoon Light annoys me, it's lower calorie sugar based on actual sugar.

Spoon for spoon it has less calories...

The bit which annoys me is that normal sugar comes in 1kg and 500g bags. Light comes in the same size bags but the weight is 750g and 375g.

The density was changed to give you less per volume, don't ask me how, blubbles in the sugar crystals or other crystal forming methods perhaps. Which is one way to get less calories per spoonful. Might as well buy normal sugar and use less :/

Associate
We use Silver Spoon Light. I thought the reason it weighed less was because it is a sugar/sweetener mix, so you could use less while maintaining the same level of sweetness?

I will admit I never really looked at the packet very closely but after using it for a couple of years I can't stand using regular sugar anymore. I can't stand the taste of pure sweeteners though.

Soldato
Trying to cut out sugar, can't cut out my cups of tea though:p

Just stop. Youre tea will taste odd for a while, but you'll soon get used to it. Eventually you'll be able to smell if someone's put sugar in your tea.

Whats wrong with sugar? Genuine q.. As long as you stay away from chocolate its an important part of your diet?

As with most foods, there's nothing wrong with sugar, if it's taken in moderation. Unfortunately a lot of foods have added sugar, which makes it difficult to know how much sugar you've actually eaten. The easiest method of reducing sugar intake is to stop having spoonfuls of the stuff.

Man of Honour
Sugar in moderation, along with a decent amount of exercise, good diet, etc. is much better for you in the long run than most artifical sweeteners. Aspartame for instance can have varied effects from nothing at all to exacerbating existing conditions and while I don't believe its proven theres a fair chance that it is the cause of long term health problems in some individuals and possibly even cancers, etc.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I use Sweetex in my tea, it’s better than using 2-3 spoons of sugar per cup.

I used to have 2 - no way I could have 3 would just be sickly, I worked it down to 1 spoon and now down to around 60% of a teaspoon which is where I intend to limit it to - rather than swap to sweeteners.

EDIT: I would also be careful cutting out sugar - I believe going "cold turkey" can cause many of the symptoms of diabetes such as peripheral neuropathy.

Soldato
Just stop. Youre tea will taste odd for a while, but you'll soon get used to it. Eventually you'll be able to smell if someone's put sugar in your tea.

Do this, I used to have 2 sugars in my coffee, over a month I cut down to 1, then none. Now I much prefer without, can taste the coffee better (it helps if you have nice coffee :p)

I still have the occasional one with sugar, but that's usually as part of a bacon-coffee breakfast hangover cure (tm)

Caporegime
Some studies have shown that sweeteners are actually worse (weight managing wise) than natural sugars. They result in temporary hypoglycemia which means you eat more which leads to hyper adiposity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18298259

Stick to sugar, just less of it :)

Even if that is true in humans, you control what you eat by counting calories so it really doesn't make a difference.

Soldato
Even if that is true in humans, you control what you eat by counting calories so it really doesn't make a difference.
Increased calorific intake would presumably mean they were eating more. Because they were hungry. As a result of the sweetener.

Humans don't react in the same way to hunger?

Back
Top Bottom