"Cleaning" the Registry: is it actually necessary?

Permabanned
Can any knowedgeable folks please tell me whether these Registry "cleaners" actually give you any performance boost beyond the placebo effect?

Cheers.

Soldato
Depends on how well maintained your PC is I guess. If you just delete programs rather than uninstalling them or if the software you've installed is poor quality then items could be left behind.

I, personally, don't use them. I've never found a real need to. I would probably reinstall my PC before using one if it got that bad.

M.

Soldato
In all the time I've been working with Windows I've only had to mess with the registry when trying to tackle some very, very specific problems. There's no way I'd generally think, "Hmm, this PC is running slowly, perhaps the registry needs cleaning out!"

I think people get a "tweaking and optimization" bug which gives rise to these sorts of tools. The majority may have little or no effect, some are just plain wrong and others can do more harm than good. Furthermore, some "accepted knowledge" about Windows is a throwback from the Windows 9x era yet still seems to survive.

My advice would be if your computer is running fine, then avoid.

Don
I don't bother, but I never install/uninstall anything, all I do is upgrade the odd program that I use.

I clear out temp files, but I leave the registry well alone now.

Associate
Can any knowedgeable folks please tell me whether these Registry "cleaners" actually give you any performance boost beyond the placebo effect?

Cheers.

No they don't. They'll strip maybe 2kb from the > 40MB registry hives which is less than a spit in the ocean.

Caporegime
I do a couple of runs of the CCleaner registry cleaner every couple of months but that's about it. No idea if it works but it makes me feel good. :p

Soldato
I've been using the CCleaner registry cleaner for years and (touchwood) I haven't had any problems so far!

This. The Yamicsoft Windows 7 Manager also does a great job and finds a hell of a lot more stuff than CCleaner. I've also used it to great effect in stripping out remnants of old software installs (from dirty uninstallations), old file associations and old autorun menu entries etc from the registry.

As a rule though I don't use them "just because" as there's little point.

Soldato
I do a couple of runs of the CCleaner registry cleaner every couple of months but that's about it. No idea if it works but it makes me feel good. :p

This is exactly my point, it's obviously made no noticable difference to you yet you still run an application that has the potential to kill your system every few months to make yourself feel good, why on earth would you do such when it makes no difference that you can discern?

Leave it alone unless you have specific issues.

Permabanned
i use tune up utilities and ccleaner to clean,and i also use a registry defragger,i have not come across any problems while using these products which i also used on vista and xp.

Associate
This is exactly my point, it's obviously made no noticable difference to you yet you still run an application that has the potential to kill your system every few months to make yourself feel good, why on earth would you do such when it makes no difference that you can discern?

I 2nd that !

Soldato

Isn't that like saying that you shouldn't run an anti-virus program, because it has the potential to kill your system (faulty updates on some have quarantined system dlls, etc, requiring a re-install of the OS). And most people run an anti-virus program and never actually see any discernible improvements from it, as they never contract a virus.

Same with anti-malware programs - they often remove tracking cookies, but again you'd be hard pressed to actually notice any improvement in your system after doing so.

Any program has the potential to kill a system, if it is badly made, or untrustworthy. But I've never had a problem running something like the registry cleaner app in ccleaner. It takes 5mins to run, which is less time than both a malware scan, or antivirus scan and has never, ever once caused any problems.

Soldato
Isn't that like saying that you shouldn't run an anti-virus program, because it has the potential to kill your system (faulty updates on some have quarantined system dlls, etc, requiring a re-install of the OS). And most people run an anti-virus program and never actually see any discernible improvements from it, as they never contract a virus.

No, antivirus software has a defineable purpose, registry cleaners really don't, they're making busy work for no good reason, do you run it just in case you get an unused file extension? close one that, phew thankfully you caught it in time...

Same with anti-malware programs - they often remove tracking cookies, but again you'd be hard pressed to actually notice any improvement in your system after doing so.

Antimalware as antivirus has definite benefits and reasons for use.

Any program has the potential to kill a system, if it is badly made, or untrustworthy. But I've never had a problem running something like the registry cleaner app in ccleaner. It takes 5mins to run, which is less time than both a malware scan, or antivirus scan and has never, ever once caused any problems.

Good for you, I'll stick to my experience which has shown me that they can and do damage systems while never once actually helping them, unlike antivirus and antimalware programs which I've seen do plenty of good.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good for you, I'll stick to my experience which has shown me that they can and do damage systems while never once actually helping them, unlike antivirus and antimalware programs which I've seen do plenty of good.

Anti-virus programs and anti-malware programs can and do both have definite uses. There is no dispute there.

The point is that they only have any benefit if the system is infected in some way. Which in my experience, almost never occurs for most (careful) users and so doesn't actually have any 'real' benefit (just 'potential' benefit). But most of these same users will run both, 'just because'.

With registry cleaners, I don't think anyone runs them to see a performance improvement - but why have a 'messy' registry if there is a program that can tidy it for you in less than 5 minutes?

If your point about 'killing machines' was true, then I'd see your point. But in my experience, that's just a completely wild, unfounded statement. But maybe you've been using different programs to me.

lcg

lcg

Associate
Registry cleaning programs aren't necessary, and are more likely to cause more damage than repair. Having said that, I do sometimes use CCleaner's registry cleaning program. It's never done any harm for me.

Back
Top Bottom