Finding itunes music

Associate
Recently rebuilt my pc and backed up all music. Have reinstalled iTunes and library appears but it cannot find any of the music. I know the tracks are all over the place on my pc but I'm pretty sure they are there. How do I get iTunes library to scan my pc to find the mp3 tracks?

Associate
they should come up with an "!" when you play the track. if you play it then it should come up with a box asking if you would like to point it to where the track is stored on the PC. you will then need to do this for each track.

if you already have the library you can load the library intead found in USERS/"username"/music/Itunes/

if you got them from CD it will not recognise it. for this i suggest you copy the Cd's music to your music folder then go file--> import folder.

hope some of this helps

Associate
OP
Thanks but I had twigged that. Problem is there are hundreds of tracks in the library and I want to get iTunes to find them as a batch. Can't see why Apple haven't made this a built in feature. Most photo progs will find all jpegs so why can't itunes find all mp3's??????? Picassa finds every jpeg!!

The xml file in the iTunes library seems to be only able to find the tracks if you point it to the folder they are in - I have got music spread over several folders. Surely there is a workaround??

Last edited:
Associate
Have you tried going to File -> Add folder to library then selecting your music files?

At worst you will need to do the folders one at a time but I think you can select multiples.

Back
Top Bottom