DR with Serve 2003 Softraid

Associate
About to install a SOHO server using 2003 standard and using the builting software raid for mirrored OS and RAID5 data storage.

It's not one I'll be actively looking after and I was wondering if there is a simple way to extract and backup the raid config from the OS. Such that if I have to rebuild the OS all the data on the RAID5 will still be accessible after a re-isntall.

Discuss... :)

Associate
I'm sorry as this doesn't answer your question, but I would be tempted to install a controller card for the RAID arrays - especially if you talking about RAID5.

Performance and reliability would be the reasons. You can always get a cheap LSI/Perc controller of the bay. :)

Associate
I would agree but for the budget and performance needs (not to mention lack of PCI-E slots) the built in softraid is fine. Plus it's already built and working...now. I'm just curious as to how it would survive the OS being re-installed if the drive containing the OS died or something.
I'd imagine it'd recognise they were part of a RAID5 set and provided they're all present and correct it'd just need the logical volume mounting again?

I just wondered if someone had actually done it?

I could do a fresh install on a spare disk and swap out but this post is much less time consuming :)

Back
Top Bottom