EA follows Ubisoft, will sell titles with 'always on' DRM

Soldato
Do you play BFMC2 online - if so how with your crap connection? ;)

I could understand your complete overeaction if you had one of these games but you dont appear to and so you have no experience of the DRM. You are moaning about a hypothetical scenario. You offer no facts - you dont even know how AC2 would perform on a wireless connection. You whine on about 'idiots' and evil developers with such paranoia you really should take a step back and get some perspective. End of they days its not Ubi's fault you have a third world ISP - its 2010 move house if its (really) such a problem.

As I said earlier the simple fact is though that sales don't appear to have been affected, no one on here has been affected by a 'flaky' connection and the game still hasn't been properly cracked.

Can you please call it BFBC2 ffs, at least get it right. And yeah i do, i also know i live in somewhere i can get a reliable internet, albeit the router doesn't agree sometimes.

I'm really not going to waste my time replying to someone so dim as you. I mean anyone who thinks that 'Move house, lolz!' is actually a response to this can only be a complete retard...

Btw, £15 after 5 weeks and you don't think sales were affected? Perhaps you should take a step back yourself.

Associate
n111ck that may very well be the most ridiculous post I've ever seen on these boards, and I spend a lot of time reading the nonsense nVidia fanbois post.

Congratulations!

For the record, even if he didn't have a great connection, he can't play SP when their servers go down. But then those of us who have bought these games have only ourselves to blame. Imagine buying a game and thinking we have a right to use it whenever....

Caporegime
n111ck has spent the entire thread tell us we should all just bend over and accept it. I wouldn't be surprised if he had shares in EA or Ubi :p

Soldato
n111ck has spent the entire thread tell us we should all just bend over and accept it. I wouldn't be surprised if he had shares in EA or Ubi :p

said it like 3 pages ago xD i dont get this guy... no chance id ever "bend over"" im the one paying money for product im the one playing it.. so why would i have to accept every BS from ubi/ea?

Soldato
n111ck that may very well be the most ridiculous post I've ever seen on these boards, and I spend a lot of time reading the nonsense nVidia fanbois post.

That was just an appropriate response to the usual keyboard warrior cop out "I'm not going to waste my time replying... blah blah" drivel. Especially when it turns out that they dont have one of these flaky connections they have been moaning about for weeks.

Nothing in this thread disputes that sales don't appear to have been affected, no one on here has been affected by a 'flaky' connection and the game still hasn't been properly cracked.

AC2 has worked great for me - lets see how peoples principles are if SC turns out to be good or the next CoD has this DRM.

Simple fact is that most of the whining on here is pointless (not unlike the 'CoD boycott') and factually inaccurate.

If you dont want the DRM dont buy the game - I'm sure the one or two loss in sales will cause Ubi to drop the DRM very soon. :D

Soldato
That was just an appropriate response to the usual keyboard warrior cop out "I'm not going to waste my time replying... blah blah" drivel. Especially when it turns out that they dont have one of these flaky connections they have been moaning about for weeks.

Nothing in this thread disputes that sales don't appear to have been affected, no one on here has been affected by a 'flaky' connection and the game still hasn't been properly cracked.

AC2 has worked great for me - lets see how peoples principles are if SC turns out to be good or the next CoD has this DRM.

Simple fact is that most of the whining on here is pointless (not unlike the 'CoD boycott') and factually inaccurate.

If you dont want the DRM dont buy the game - I'm sure the one or two loss in sales will cause Ubi to drop the DRM very soon. :D

one or two? are u sure about that? :) do you think everyone is the same as you? do you really think moving house is right just so you can play a SINGLE PLAYER game online? those words just dont make a right sentence.. read it again SINGLE PLAYER ONLINE capish?

Associate
Why is N111ck bringing playing multiplayer in BFBC2 into this? Is he a little slow or something, comparing multiplayer to single player?

There's a lot of places that have inconsistent net connections and unfortunately i shall be going back to one of these in September and as a result this DRM will hit me quite hard if i buy any games featuring this DRM. I have held off from buying games with this always on DRM and i really want AC2 but i'm sticking to my principles. It's a shame things have come to this, i really can't see why developers don't just embrace steam as steam does actually work, sure it has a few flaws but it's about the best we're going to get.

Soldato
Why is N111ck bringing playing multiplayer in BFBC2 into this? Is he a little slow or something, comparing multiplayer to single player?

Evilsod was moaning about how having a flaky connection would prevent playing a single player game whilst quite happily going on about play BFBC2 in another thread thats the point. It turns out Evilsod was moaning on behalf of 'other' people and doesnt have a flaky connection and could therefore play AC2 without issue.

Nobody on here as far as I have seen has even had problems with a 'flaky' connection.

End of the day if you dont like the DRM dont buy the game - but dishing out petty childish insults to those that do want the game (and havent had a problem playing it) is really quite pathetic.

Ubi have every right to protect their work from theft - if you dont like how they do it then you cant play their games. Revelling in piracy and practically being cheer leaders for those that carried out the DDOS attacks is just being part of the problem IMO.

Associate
I have a flaky connection, as do a few other people I play L4D2 with (Evil included). I stopped playing Shattered Horizon simply because my connection wasn't stable enough to stay in games very long. There are plenty of people with dodgy connections that play MP games while praying their connection doesn't drop. I don't want to have to be praying my connection doesn't drop for a single player game that shouldn't need an internet connection

Soldato
Nobody on here as far as I have seen has even had problems with a 'flaky' connection.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/108706/ea-on-c+c4-drm

EA's Jeff Green tweeted...

Booted twice--and progress lost--on my single-player C&C4 game because my DSL connection blinked. DRM fail. We need new solutions.

and...

Welp. I've tried to be open-minded. But my 'net connection is finicky--and the constant disruption of my C&C4 SP game makes this unplayable.

Hilarious!

Soldato
Evilsod was moaning about how having a flaky connection would prevent playing a single player game whilst quite happily going on about play BFBC2 in another thread thats the point. It turns out Evilsod was moaning on behalf of 'other' people and doesnt have a flaky connection and could therefore play AC2 without issue.

End of the day if you dont like the DRM dont buy the game - but dishing out petty childish insults to those that do want the game (and havent had a problem playing it) is really quite pathetic.

Ubi have every right to protect their work from theft - if you dont like how they do it then you cant play their games. Revelling in piracy and practically being cheer leaders for those that carried out the DDOS attacks is just being part of the problem IMO.

Jesus you are just too stupid to reason with. Go back under your bridge.

Permabanned

Oh? If i'm on my laptop and mobile broadband when away at work there is no way i would be able to play AC2 without my connection cutting out all the time, and i'm hardly alone. At home my cable connection is fine and never cuts out, but i've had BT for long enough in the past that i know just how bad they can be for stability. Don't profess to speak for the world just because your connection is good.

Lucky thing i never bought ASC2 but can still play it fine eh.

Associate

successful troll is successful in this thread. I really should know better than to feed trolls by now.

Developers really need to come up with far less intrusive systems. I understand why they want it however the way they are going about this is ridiculous. If the internet infrastructure was there and all connections were stable etc then yeah why not, however this is not the case for a large area of the world, in fact i'll go as far as saying the majority. I found the tweets from the guy from EA to be rather amusing. Perhaps they may realise the problems they have soon if their own staff are having issues.

Soldato
Indeed, apparently sitting at home in a built-up area somewhere near a major English city is a valid example of internet stability the world over in all situations.

1st year uni, halls of residence... god damn those connections are iffy sometimes.
Living at home, reliable connection that sometimes throws hissy fits, same with the router.
Visiting my gf with a fairly unreliable wireless connection, unless your willing to pay over 4x the price for the same in wired. Not something a student can do.
Etc

I don't disagree devs should be able to protect there own property but this is getting stupid. That tweet was pretty funny, EA employee slagging off there own DRM doesn't get any better.

Soldato
Evilsod was moaning about how having a flaky connection would prevent playing a single player game

well it would prevent people playing this game....so if anything people will appreciate the heads up he gave them. why is it hurting you ?

yes this is a 'buy ubisoft games here thread' and a load of us have came in to insult those future ubisoft customers

Ubi have every right to protect their work from theft - if you dont like how they do it then you cant play their games.

so people who have bought AC2 and played it are all happy with the DRM and if you dont like the DRM you cant possibly play the game no more...wow that really is some amazing DRM.
i think you need to head over to ubisoft forums ....there may be 1 or 2 people who would disagree with you.

Last edited:
Soldato

You are the one that has had to resort to petty childish insults over and over and whats worse is you really dont have a point your just moaning about something that doesnt even affect you.

Oh and yet another keyboard warrior cliche - 'troll' indeed. :rolleyes:

Grow up and get some perspective.

Soldato
You are the one that has had to resort to petty childish insults over and over and whats worse is you really dont have a point your just moaning about something that doesnt even affect you.

It would've effected me as recently as a couple of years ago. It would effect me now on occassion. It would effect me when i get my own place and have no net connection for a bit (and probably not a good one due to lack of money when i do). So how about you stop thinking about yourself and your own immediate situation and gtfo? Lame post is lame.

Associate

Now let's look at your perspective shall we?

Same as - I cant believe that so many put up with such a flaky connection. Why arent they moving providers?? :confused:

Yeah things are that simple aren't they? Often it's the area you live in not the ISP so ermmm yeah.... You did mention moving but i could see that was mentioned in jest as that is ridiculous.

Has anyone with one of the crappy connections actually tried playing AC2? Or are people just assuming that it will keep cutting out?

Regardless its not UBI's fault that your connection is crap.

It's well documented that it DOES cut out, try the ubisoft forums for that one.

Then there's you saying ohhh it's fine for me i can't see the fuss. Seriously and you say others need to gain some perspective.

Also by your logic just because Evil hasn't been affected he can't comment on this DRM surely you shouldn't be posting either as it doesn't bother you with your sound connection does it?

Right on topic looking at gamers as a whole there is a large amount of students in there and thus have no control over their internet connection so this affects them. Then there's those tight for money who simply can't just go and get the best package out there and so on. So when you see pirates playing games without any hassle and yet there's you with your DRM crippled copy that you paid for you have every right to be upset. So what if AC2 hasn't completely been cracked yet, it will be and they'll probably have a far better playing experience. I can see DRM becoming more of a problem in the future if things don't change as even some of the best connections will have spikes from time to time let alone those not as good and there's plenty of them and i know from experience.

Then there's the issue of routers going down, not everyone has £100 to go get another on a whim. The amount of people this will affect will be staggering if it goes on a seriously large title like COD. I'm not sure developers will go this far however, the amount of complaints they will receive and requests for technical help will hopefully make them see sense. Either that or they may come up with something more innovative.

Back
Top Bottom