D-Link DIR-615 H/W: D2

Associate
Ok, I have one of the above...

My sons all-powerful laptop is only connecting at 54mbps, Surely this router should be operating faster than this????

There is a TRANSMISSION rate settings in the config, which only has one option.. "Automatic (BEST)"

I have set it up for WEP... (due to limitations of another laptop), does WEP make a difference - should I go for OPEN, and MAC FILTERED?

Thanks

Demon

Soldato
Is the laptop 802.11G or N?

It's probably just throttling down the speed to get a more stable connection. I wouldn't worry about it.

Associate
put dd-wrt on it

Yep this is what i did to mine last night, i put "DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) std
(SVN revision 13064)" on it and so far so good, a world apart from the standard dlink firmware.

Reason i put it on was i found the standard dlink firmware that was on it was causing the router to somehow get overloaded and it would stop communicating with all computers in the house, i really hope that the dd-wrt firmware sorts this out:)

As to the OP, i would think that the laptop is only capable of 54g, hence only connecting at that rate, i think out of the box the Dlink 615 auto negotiates, so if you had a Wireless N adapter connected it would connect at 150 or 300 depending on the adapter and conditions.

Man of Honour
How do you download the firmware from their site? I've got a 615 D2 as well, which isn't in their database but is listed in the Wiki?

Man of Honour
Good find - will give it a try.

edit: Yep works fine. The only thing in their guide I would change is that you don't need to set up your IP manually on the PC between the two updates - just use 'ipconfig /release' then 'ipconfig /renew' to get a new local IP (assuming it changes from your default before flashing).

Last edited:
Soldato
And this is how you get back to V4.11 from d-link if you don't like it
Open a webpage(you will need this later to get to the firmware page)

Unplug the power cable and the cable from the router LEAVE the cable for the comp.

Hold down the reset button on the back then reconnect the power cable.
In the webpage type or copy and paste 192.168.0.1 into the top bar.

You will see a page asking you what firmware you want uploaded.
Use the search button and browse to where you put the D-Link firmware click on the file
then click on "Upload Firmware Now" button let it do it's thing(You can let go of the reset button now)
Log back into the 615 and setup your normal things like WPA2.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yep this is what i did to mine last night, i put "DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) std
(SVN revision 13064)" on it and so far so good, a world apart from the standard dlink firmware.

Reason i put it on was i found the standard dlink firmware that was on it was causing the router to somehow get overloaded and it would stop communicating with all computers in the house, i really hope that the dd-wrt firmware sorts this out:)

As to the OP, i would think that the laptop is only capable of 54g, hence only connecting at that rate, i think out of the box the Dlink 615 auto negotiates, so if you had a Wireless N adapter connected it would connect at 150 or 300 depending on the adapter and conditions.

Hi :)

My sons Laptop is Wireless N (built-in) - he uses an Edimax router at uni, and gets an "N" connection fine - but not here on my DLINK.

I will flash the router sometime today with DD-WRT... :eek:

Associate
all I can say is wow, I put this firmware on and my router is now usable lol, with the orginal VM firmware that they put on it was terrible - connection was off/on and would always mess up the DHCP, the net was slower/laggy etc but this has sorted it all out and its not droping like the old firmware.

Not sure if anyone knows how to do this, I'm not used to this new firmware and I was wondering - as my router is setup as DHCP I want to make the IP it assigns to my 360/iphones/laptop etc static so they always recive the same IP, I could do it on my linksys wrt160n and on the old Dlink-615 firmware but I Cant see it on the new DD-WRT, could someone point it out for me.

Another problem is iam getting nat type moderate on my 360 etc aswell in Mw2, and Ive forwarded the ports correctly. any ideas?

Last edited:
Associate
all I can say is wow, I put this firmware on and my router is now usable lol, with the orginal VM firmware that they put on it was terrible - connection was off/on and would always mess up the DHCP, the net was slower/laggy etc but this has sorted it all out and its not droping like the old firmware.
Same here, best thing i did was put the dd-wrt on it, no drop-outs and a constant connection with no overloads like the old virgin firmware used to do.

I have had it on for over a week now, and not once have i had to reboot the router, and thats with over 30GB passed through it, the VM firmware would have bombed out a few times by now.

Associate
Not sure if anyone knows how to do this, I'm not used to this new firmware and I was wondering - as my router is setup as DHCP I want to make the IP it assigns to my 360/iphones/laptop etc static so they always recive the same IP, I could do it on my linksys wrt160n and on the old Dlink-615 firmware but I Cant see it on the new DD-WRT, could someone point it out for me.

Another problem is iam getting nat type moderate on my 360 etc aswell in Mw2, and Ive forwarded the ports correctly. any ideas?

It's on the 'Services' tab under Static Leases.

My nat type shows as open with the same router, what ports do you have forwarded?

Back
Top Bottom