Breathing some life back into my 420 Turbo (Lots of pics)

GeX

GeX

Soldato
You can tell if the sensor is over heating without using an EGT gauge. "08- Sensor Timing Error". Which you can either see on an LM1, or you'd see on the diagnostic LED.

i've had my wideband lambda on one of my primaries, the reading fluctuated as it wasn't a reading of all the gas coming out of the engine. I've since moved it to just in front of the cat, the reading is nice and stable - with the averaged readings no different to how they were when the sensor was further up (they just don't swing about all over the show now!)

Where the sensor was, i have an EGT sensor now. Which when hooning about reads around 600c.

Granted I don't have a turbo. But I have fitted an LC1 and gauge to a heavily modified Rover 220 'tomcat' Coupe, and with that fitted in the stock OE placement (elbow) it worked fine with no timing errors (this is what the LC1 gives you if the sensor is out of its operating range). I then asked Grant from GB-Ent (who had supplied the head, turbo etc that were being used) and he suggested fitting it down stream a bit, just behind the sump.

An exhaust system is made of machined flat surfaces that are bolted together, with either a gasket or a tiny slither of paste. Not going to get into the debate regarding using paste upstream of the turbo as it doesn't matter. Both placements are downstream, and if you are introducing a leak going from the elbow to downpipe then you've got some issues with the exhaust.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for clearing that up. I had no idea how exhausts were made :p

There's nothing wrong really with what either of us is saying. In fact I know a handful of people like this Grant you mention who give different answers to the question. I'm going of experience I've gained personally from seeing other people engines and from building my own 300+ BHP Turbo'd engine.

They way I see it is to eliminate as many areas where a failure is possible especially when the gauge monitors the most important element (A/F ratio). So sure you have a perfect exhaust but whats the issue with placing the sensor away from any joins, close to the turbo where it's going to get an accurate reading, all of the time?

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Thanks for clearing that up. I had no idea how exhausts were made :p

:D

As you say, different ways of doing things. I would be weary that even with a heatsink, a sensor that close to the turbo could still be overheated (although it didn't on the tomcat which was ~300bhp, it was only run for a short time before the gearbox threw the towel in). If the sensor is meant to work at around 700c, and the turbo is always above that - a wee heatsink isn't going to save the world :)

But like i say, i can't find any information on this. If you've got some solid info, please do post it :)

Caporegime
Too close to the turbo and you run the risk of overheating the sensor.

This can cause reading drift. I used the LC-1 with a DTA S60 on my 220Turbo

Soldato
:D

As you say, different ways of doing things. I would be weary that even with a heatsink, a sensor that close to the turbo could still be overheated (although it didn't on the tomcat which was ~300bhp, it was only run for a short time before the gearbox threw the towel in). If the sensor is meant to work at around 700c, and the turbo is always above that - a wee heatsink isn't going to save the world :)

But like i say, i can't find any information on this. If you've got some solid info, please do post it :)

I thought the same about it getting too hot even with the heatsink, however on the same engine as mine (but higher spec'd) I know a couple of guys who are pushing over 500BHP with the sensor 3" from the turbo. One has used the same sensor for 4 years the other over 2 years. They've had silly EGT's while testing with no sign of sensor failure.

Associate
i like it, i am a fan of those shape rover's but having owned a few of them and had to work on them loads at work im not a fan of the k series engine.

its good to see somone that really loves his car and will do anything to keep it sweet.

great work keep it up

Soldato
You would have thought all that talent you appear to have you would spend you time fixing up any other car bar a Rover.

But each to their own. :p

J/k looking good, good luck with it all :)

Caporegime
I'd like one of those stickers for my Scania. :D

Nice work there :cool:,I'm a bit surprised you repaired the engine mount rather than replacing it, they can't be that much to buy a replacement?

Anyway, Evode make excellent glue. ;):D

Soldato
OP
You can get the stickers from eBay :)

If the mount was completely ripped in half rather than just split I would have bought a new one. A decent condition second hand mount usually goes for about £40 so not the end of the world. I'm waiting to hear back about a mount but now that the repair has had time to set, it's not bad and seems pretty strong. If I don't hear back about the new mount I'll use this one and whip it off in a few months to see how it's holding up.

Replaced the fuel filter last night and started on the wiring loom. Also mocked up some mounts for the coil which allowed me to measure up for my custom HT leads. Also ordered the flywheel which should be here in a few weeks with any luck.

No point posting pictures as there's not much to show... apart from me pratting about and standing in the empty engine bay making engine noises :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom