How do you buy your music?

Caporegime
I think I'm probably the only person in the country (of MP3 listeners) who has never installed iTunes, my wife has it on her laptop and it just seems mind-bogglingly bloated to me.

Nope me neither, no reason to unless you have an ipod imo. Plenty of other far better music management software

Soldato
CD ripped to lossless.

The only way.

Why pay for a digital download that can be lost with a screwy HDD, and has inferior quality to the CD hard copy.

Won't ever pay for downloads unless it becomes seriously attractive and you can get lossless easily for a good price.

Soldato
always CD. i rarely buy newly released music and most of the stuff i buy is 2-3 quid including postage. i also buy 2nd hand as well. i don't mind waiting a few days for it to turn up.

the only time i've bought digital downloads is the odd 29p song on amazon and a few "digital exclusives". really ******* annoys me though when artists/labels do that. :mad:

Caporegime
OP
I'm really surprised by this thread. I thought I was a bit of a luddite for not having bought through iTunes, but I guess I needn't have worried :p

Don
CDs here, then ripped to 192kbps using iTunes. Having a physical backup gives me some piece of mind. What's the situation with downloading from iTunes then having a HD die?

I'm another one that can't tell the difference between CD and mp3 quality but that might be more to do with my hearing loss in the higher frequency ranges.

Soldato
CDs here, then ripped to 192kbps using iTunes. Having a physical backup gives me some piece of mind. What's the situation with downloading from iTunes then having a HD die?

I'm another one that can't tell the difference between CD and mp3 quality but that might be more to do with my hearing loss in the higher frequency ranges.

iTunes isn't like Steam, so if your hard drive died, you couldn't just login to iTunes and re-sync your music collection. If you call Apple support and explain what happened, they're usually nice enough to let you download your collection again, though I don't think they'll let you do it more than once or twice.

There has been rumours of Apple setting up a web-based store so you can stream the music you've bought or re-download it. I imagine this will work similar to the Ubuntu One Music Store.

Man of Honour
Why pay for a digital download that can be lost with a screwy HDD, and has inferior quality to the CD hard copy.

cheaper, convenience. Don't have to spend hours ripping, as for quality I always said I wouldn't buy mp3s till they changed to lossless. Until I realised you can't hear the difference unless you have top notch setup and top notch hearing to go with it. There's that ax test thing you can do.

My music is "backed" up to 3 hdd drives (two computers) and the phone.
~£7 a month to have instant access to 4million+ tracks and then to keep 15 of those a month in drm free high bit rate. Can't get that from cd.

Last edited:
Soldato
cheaper, convenience. Don't have to spend hours ripping, as for quality I always said I wouldn't buy mp3s till they changed to lossless. Until I realised you can't hear the difference unless you have top notch setup and top notch hearing to go with it. There's that ax test thing you can do.

My music is "backed" up to 3 hdd drives (two computers) and the phone.
~£7 a month to have instant access to 4million+ tracks and then to keep 15 of those a month in drm free high bit rate. Can't get that from cd.

Ogg Vorbis is my preferred format when there's limited format. At standard it's about twice the quality of MP3 for half the size, you can have the lowest quality at roughly 1MB per 3 minute song and there's a lossless flavour of it too. Open Source as well.

Soldato
buy all my music on CD where possible.

i'll only buy itunes if someone has bought me a gift voucher or its a single rare track i need.

you cant beat having the CD even if you only end up ripping it, at least you have lyrics and art etc

Associate
Ive bought 2 albums on iTunes, everything else is CDs, Music Mania, local indy record shop here in stoke, get everything from there, If they dont have it theres about a 90% chance they can get it in, if not, CD off Ebay, Rip em into Apple Lossless.

Soldato
I find it hard to believe people on a tech forum are worried about losing their songs due to a HDD corrupting. Never heard of backing stuff up I see...

I mostly download now, can't be bothered to buy a CD for every odd track I purchase and sometimes there is no CD copy anyway.

Soldato
CD, Rip to 320kbps then bang on my Cowon S9 ;D

I will DDL though if the price is right or.. as with no luck.. DDL is the only option, which seems to be the case with most electronica music.

Soldato
I either buy it on vinyl (classic stuff like Pink Floyd, led Zeppelin etc), or used CDs from Amazon marketplace for dirt cheap (usually through a seller called Zoverstocks - they're always the cheapest).

Permabanned
I've stopped getting new music altogether really. Don't have the time to listen to it.
Last CD I bought was AFI's Crash Love, just because they're my favourite band.
I bought that off Amazon. I'm not into Apple at all because I'm straight.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've stopped getting new music altogether really. Don't have the time to listen to it.
Last CD I bought was AFI's Crash Love, just because they're my favourite band.
I bought that off Amazon. I'm not into Apple at all because I'm straight.

Apple? who's that? :D

Amazon > Apple

Back
Top Bottom