Does anyone on here drive an RX8 ?

Associate
Hey folks

Its new car time and I'm stuck between a celica TRD and an Mazda RX8. I've always liked both the cars, and have found a supercharged TRD that is lurvely.. however, I keep coming across RX8's that keep tempting me back

They are crazy cheap! I already know they are great cars, its hard to deny, but there is the dreaded flooding to take into account. Most of my trips are short as I live close to work, so the journeys are around 2.5 miles in the week. I cant quite work out if this is classed as a short journey - enough to give me grief

Or by short journey, are people talking about going to the end of the street?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Soldato
Celica would be my choice. The RX8 just has too many things I'd be constantly annoyed about; oil, fuel and flooding. I've also read the interior is pretty poor, not to mention the bhp issue.

I've never driven one myself, but an acquaintance owns one and two friends test drove them and opted to give it a miss. Mainly because there was no grunt unless you drive it on the red line.

Man of Honour
Neither really. The Celica is resoundingly MEH. The RX8 is a much better car but suffers from having the running costs of much more exotic cars.

Associate
The interior of an RX-8 should be the least of your worries. It's quite nice for the class of car. Bose sound system, relatively decent dash, a little plastic, but no worse than the competition.

I had one last year for a bit. I never suffered from flooding, even on short trips, but I wouldn't tempt it by running over such short distances. I only sold up because of the poor economy. Makes my Z4 seem positively frugal by comparison.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
You get tired and sweaty over 2.5 miles? Jeese, that's unfit!

Was going to say the same thing! 2.5 miles would take about 10minutes if that!

Fitter you are = less you sweat? :confused:

Surely anyone would sweat even to make you smell after 2.5 miles? Urgh. Effort, cold, wet...rather stay in a car.

Considering it would be a very short and relaxed cycle, unless you are incredibly, no you wouldn't. The majority of our office cycle, one from Watford -> Hatfield and he doesn't smell nor is he drenched.

But anyway, the distance, the cycling etc. wasn't the point. I'd go for the RX8.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I suspect the OP was hoping to hear advice on the car in question rather than being told by some random on the internet how to get to work.

That aside, I thought the flooding was caused by starting to move the car a couple of foot then shutting off rather than short journeys?

Associate
A practice they might then have continued with the 8, possibly?

I suspect the OP was hoping to hear advice on the car in question rather than being told by some random on the internet how to get to work.

That aside, I thought the flooding was caused by starting to move the car a couple of foot then shutting off rather than short journeys?
I often had to move mine a few feet (the cost of a single 'lane' driveway and four people each with their own car) and still didn't suffer flooding. Not once. Mine was an 05 plate, for reference.

Soldato
The interior of an RX-8 should be the least of your worries. It's quite nice for the class of car. Bose sound system, relatively decent dash, a little plastic, but no worse than the competition.

Yeah it's great on paper, but research and this one friend who own has constant blown bulbs and "bits falling off".

Associate
OP
hmmm.. thanks, I think

Cycling with a2 folders, and boxes full of work i'm doing can be tricky most of the time. Plus, I sweat.

I think breaking the car down the interior niggles is a bit harsh. Its a nice car which cost a hell of a lot not long ago. The interior, in my eyes, is far superior to the 2000 celica i'm looking at.

Another big plus for me is the extra access to the back seats. Again, stumbling out of my house with said boxes and folders that need loading into my car will be much more easy with the extra 'doors', rather than fighting with seats to throw stuff in the back.

From what I can tell:

-Fuel and insurance will be the same
-RX8 will be more comfy on longer journey (TRD's are a bit stiff)
-The TRD will be quicker off the line
-The RX8 will be quicker 0-60
-The RX8 is quite a bit cheaper ~£800
-The celica just about gets it in the looks department, only just though
-The RX8 will need a bit more TLC. Even though its only an oil top up every 1000 miles, not a big deal really

If it is only tiny journeys that potentially flood it, i.e moving out of garage etc, then its sounding like a bargain.

Decisions, decisions

Back
Top Bottom