• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best 5870

Associate
looking for the best non reference 5870.

ive been looking at the Vapor-x and the PCS+ but the Asus TOP looks like another to consider. what do you think is the best with a quiet cooler and ok overclockability? i know the Vapor-x isnt too great for overclocking but it does a good job. thats just what ive read so dont quote me on that.

so basicly i just want your thoughts on the matter. leaning a lot towards the PCS+ because reviews say it is very quiet and very cool almost in line with the Vapor-x.

thanks,

Jake

Soldato
I got a vapor-X the one with 5000hz memory clock as it was on the weekly deal and it really flies. It also runs really cool.

I highly recommend it.

Soldato
Got vapor-x too, absolutely awesome cooler and very quiet.

Highest stable overclock overdrive reports is 900/1300 but guess you can go higher, i am not an overclocking expert though and it plays games with ease.

Associate
OP
i know only good things have been said about the Vapor-x but ive never really heard much about all the other non reference cards out there. i would love to hear someones take on having both the Vapor-x and the PCS+.

Associate
You can't overvolt the PCS (not sure about that Vapor-x) so if you want to overclock I'd stay away personally.

jij

jij

Associate
You can't overvolt the PCS (not sure about that Vapor-x) so if you want to overclock I'd stay away personally.
You can only overvolt the Rev 1 Vapor-X. (black PCB). The new ones, Rev 2 (blue board) have cheaper components and you can't software overvolt them. Therefore, even though it has an amazingly good cooler, mine isn't stable in FurMark above around 930MHz. Plus I had to flash the bios with the ASUS bios to get it go above 900MHz. Bit of a faff really.
With a custom fan control setting, it only gets to 73 deg too. It could go a lot higher I'm sure. Overall it seems like a waste of good kit! :(

You can overvolt the ASUS board but the cooler isn't so good, and very loud on full. So really you want the ASUS board with a Vapor-X cooler! :)

jij

jij

Associate
Overall it seems like a waste of good kit! :(
But I guess 930MHz is a 9.5% overclock on stock, and it runs very cool & quietly. So it's not too bad really. And you're not far off the 'fastest-single-GPU-card-in-the-world'
It's just fustrating to know it could do more.

Soldato
I ordered one of these yesterday afternoon and they had a huge order from another retailer and they snapped them all up meaning some customers lost there cards which don't seem right in my eyes, I was told to fill the order some customers lost there cards.

I had to order the PCS+ instead its got decent reviews so will see, it was only £5 more and had mw2 with it, a few reviews i reading about this card seen them hit 1000 core and 1370 on memory with no increases, but all cards are different so will find out tomorrow i guess.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
it would be great if you could post back in a few days to let me know how you get on. the PCS+ is one of the cards i am really looking at. :D

Soldato
I see DPD delivery from overclockers now has estimated delivery times, mine has between 10.40 and 11.40 talk about ruining the expectation and pacing about lol.

jij

jij

Associate
Does anyone know of a card that has all three of these:

1) An efficient, quiet cooler like the Vapor-X or the PowerColor.
2) You can overclock beyond 900MHz without flashing to the ASUS bios.
3) You can overvolt in software.

If not why not?! What are these guys playing at?:mad:

Associate
OP
mattjd, ive looked at this but i dont have any form of watercooling and to get an aftermarket cooler would cost a lot more than the PCS+ or Vapor-X. and takes up more space.

Soldato
Does anyone know of a card that has all three of these:

1) An efficient, quiet cooler like the Vapor-X or the PowerColor.
2) You can overclock beyond 900MHz without flashing to the ASUS bios.
3) You can overvolt in software.

If not why not?! What are these guys playing at?:mad:
I think the only cards that allow overvolting at the moment are those based on reference designs and they all seem to come with reference coolers. My reference ASUS boards run very quietly, even with the cores cranked up to 1000MHz. If do get a little noisy for you, you can always alter the fan profile via software. Even at 1000MHz my card never goes above 80degrees when gaming.

Non reference boards are produced to cut costs. Some components be generally cheaper, but manufacturers then stick "nice" coolers on them so that they can charge more and make buigger margins. Most non-reference coolers actually contain less copper than the reference designs (reduced cost), but contain larger fans to move more air and make them cooler.

Last edited:

jij

jij

Associate

jij

jij

Associate
I think the only cards that allow overvolting at the moment are those based on reference designs and they all seem to come with reference coolers. My reference ASUS boards run very quietly, even with the cores cranked up to 1000MHz. If do get a little noisy for you, you can always alter the fan profile via software. Even at 1000MHz my card never goes above 80degrees when gaming..
80deg? Is that all? That's good isn't it. What voltages are you using?
Damn, should have brought a ASUS!

Back
Top Bottom