• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

which is the best cpu from this list?

Soldato
hi peeps.

i have an old nforce750i mobo and am looking at a new processor.

Penryn (Yorkfield)
Penryn (Wolfdale)
Core 2 Quad
Core 2 Extreme
Core 2 Duo

at the moment i have a core 2 duo at about 2.6ghz. this would mainly be for playing bad company 2 where i found that the game focusses mainly on CPU and not GPU (grrr) so im looking at a quad core.

sorry to ask such a basic question but i cant find comparisons (so tired this am) im guessing its the extreme or quad that are the better.

Associate
A Wolfdale is a more modern revision of the Core 2 Duo, a Yorkdale is a more modern revision of the Core 2 Quad. The Extreme editions are the best version chips from the run they are made from.

I would personally either get a cheap Wolfdale (no more than £60) based Dual to overclock at 3.6Ghz or so, or find a deal on a Q6600 to overclock to 3.0Ghz (no more than £100).

If spending any more you are better to either go for a new motherboard with an i3 or i5.

Associate
A yorkfield is a 45nm quad core and is the best, you can get extremes of the yorkfield if you want but they cost a lot and are not very good bang for buk. yorkfields start with q9xxx and are the best family of processors in your list. You will definitely notice bad company smoothing out if you have a decent gpu

Soldato
OP
my gpu is quite old - nvidia 8800gtx (768mb) as my rig is about 2-3 years old now (not played any online games for a while lol) but i dont really want to spend too much on a new one since many people say bc2 is CPU heavy and not GPU.

at the moment i think i have a 6600 (~2.4ghz?) but i need to OC it. my 750i SLI is newer since my last one died. problem is the AI overclock doesnt seem to do much (always says same speed in win7 system properties no matter how much % increase i give it) last mobo i got 3ghz out of it.

im out of touch with OCing (lack of time these days) so what setting can i use for this? does the AI overclock on nforce mobos not work or is it nforce chipset isnt good for ocing?

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
if you are considering a 45nm quad on an nforce board, make sure you are on the latest bios before you ditch your old chip

Soldato
my gpu is quite old - nvidia 8800gtx (768mb) as my rig is about 2-3 years old now (not played any online games for a while lol) but i dont really want to spend too much on a new one since many people say bc2 is CPU heavy and not GPU.

at the moment i think i have a 6600 (~2.4ghz?) but i need to OC it. my 750i SLI is newer since my last one died. problem is the AI overclock doesnt seem to do much (always says same speed in win7 system properties no matter how much % increase i give it) last mobo i got 3ghz out of it.

im out of touch with OCing (lack of time these days) so what setting can i use for this? does the AI overclock on nforce mobos not work or is it nforce chipset isnt good for ocing?
You should really download and use CPU-Z for reading cpu speed instead of using Windows system properties. As for nforce chipset board being a limitation for overclocking that is indeed the case, however even crappy nforce board should be able to get Q6600 to 3.0GHz without much difficulty; mine would get to 3.1GHz...any higher it won't remain stable, even if with extra voltage to vcore.

I am not fimiliar with AI overclock, but for my overclock I just change the FSB value in bios.

Soldato
OP
yeah. i was always fsb and bus etc. thing is now i forgot all i know as ive not done any for years now lol. yeah, i didnt trust win properties. i was going to ask about a cpu app but i guess cpu-z is still king eh?

Soldato
OP
You should really download and use CPU-Z for reading cpu speed instead of using Windows system properties. As for nforce chipset board being a limitation for overclocking that is indeed the case, however even crappy nforce board should be able to get Q6600 to 3.0GHz without much difficulty; mine would get to 3.1GHz...any higher it won't remain stable, even if with extra voltage to vcore.

I am not fimiliar with AI overclock, but for my overclock I just change the FSB value in bios.

do you recall what FSB you used?

Soldato
OP
ignore the last one. not with it lol.

opted for a q9550 as its the best i can fit. thanks for your help guys! (was really tempted by an i7 system but not sure i would get the most out of it)

Back
Top Bottom