• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Powercolour 5870pcs+ issues

Soldato
Just got this card delivered today and put it in, now i am getting issues in games i can play for maybe 10 seconds then they just freeze and i have to ctr+alt+tab them and end task, the card i stock i have tried installing different drivers but the same results.

I was on a 5850 before without issues but now this has started any ideas of things to try, i am running it on a 600w OCZ Modx psu, but as this was fine on the 5850 i can't see it being that.

When it goes on bad company 2 i can hear the game going on in the background and i get the display driver has stopped responding when i ctrl/del out.

I can run forward when its gone and shoot the gun hear all the sound just i get a white screen.

Last edited:
Soldato
Try down-clocking your card to 5850 speeds (725core/1000mem). It may be that the GPU/Mem cannot handle stock speeds.

Also try setting your processor and ram to stock speeds (if overclocked), just in case your PSU is being worked too hard.

I think you will probably have to send the card back because the working 5850 does indicate nothing else is wrong with your system.

Associate
I sent my new 5850 pcs+ back Tuesday which would completely bomb my pc with lines across the display. It also did this within a few seconds of putting load on the card like playing BC2 (it seems we all playing it at the moment) If its doing that in other games as well and not just BC2 then I would send it back myself. I used 3dmark myself to test outside BC2 with the same results.

Putting my 4870 back has me 100% stable again.

Soldato
OP
I get no lines it just freezes but I can shoot and hear it in the background, trying a format first then will put pc to stock, sadly posted my old card off now.

Soldato
OP
Looking likely it could be the card just set me pc to stock tried bc2 and when it froze this time i got a white screen with blue lines going across it then black screen with red lines, ctrl/alt/delete and had to end task.

Tried it on stock 5870 clocks and the same game loads up then after maybe 5-10 seconds it freezes, screen sometimes goes white/blue/black with red lines then i have to ctr/alt/delete it back to desktop, so looks like a rma job.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm getting lower FPS than expected with my powercolor pcs+ 5870 and have had blue screen issues (I think that's the RAM though).

The odd thing is I tried a 5850 a few months back (before I was ready to upgrade myself) and had over 100 fps most of the time, with this 5870 i'm getting lower fps.

Soldato
OP
The brief time i tried it with the aa on full whack something i couldn't do on the 5850 even with that clocked at 900/1200 it was smooth as, oh well i guess i better get in touch with overs.

I think its a problem with the memory on these cards as they are not covered with anything for cooling just the fan blowing down.

Edit: It does it even on 5850 clocks so something isn't right.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom