Hand brake jammed on?

Soldato
OP
Just got a second opinion from a relative, he said the same thing...There should be absolutely no need for any grinding or splitting of the drum, with the correct method and patience it should come off.

It does sound like the chap is full of it. I've got the number for an RAC mechanic, I'll give him a call tomorrow. If not, I'll phone around a few garages :)

I'd like to give it a go myself but it's the cost of the tools then my obvious inexperience.

Soldato
Ah you are in glasgow not to far.

I have a puller in my tool kit.

If I wasnt so busy this week i would have fired through.

Plus I have no experience with drums and replacing shoes. Done plenty other work to cars though.

Associate
Shifty- what tools do you have? You only need basic tools for this sort of work, hammer (obviously!), prybars (or at least big screwdrivers) maybe sockets to remove hub from rear, basic pliers etc to remove shoes/springs/cable.

Firstly you need to knock the drum with a hammer, preferably 2 hammers, holding one oppostie the other round the drum and strike with one hammer, this shocks the shoes from the drum, turn drum and repeat.
Get the prybar between the drum and backplate, prise gently and try not to bend the backplate, tap the same side of the drum on the edge with the hammer to release the shoes. It'll only move a small bit at a time, repeat on the other side of the drum.
It will come off, just patience and technique.

Anyone can wield a hammer, but not many can use it as a tool.

I'm way over in East Lothian or I'd have came to help.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the offer Jonny, I'll keep it in mind for next time :p and thanks for all the advice guys!

The hand brake is now free! :D and I'm only £10 out of pocket!

Soldato
So what did he do? And what about checking/fixing it?

Reason I ask is that many years ago my Dads car got stuck in reverse in a petrol station when I used to work in Southend on Sea, called the AA and when I went to show him the problem it sort or released itself. I too thought, great and did nothing about it, except that a few months later the same thing happened and this time I was in an underground car park in Southend.

Soldato
OP
Spent a good while, basically just forcing it out...Which we all tried two or three times but obviously not hard enough. I didn't want to go overboard and end up snapping something! Eventually got the brake released, took the car out for a drive, brought it back, checked it over, said that the pads were obviously still intact. I asked if it would need brought into the garage, he said no need, everything feels fine it was most likely down to dampness or somesuch? It's being taken in to get checked out though, better safe than sorry.

No there isnt a button! he probably just rebooted LOL

:D

Wheel, bulb, oil, coolant changes and general maintenance are the extent of my knowledge unfortunately! Glad I asked though, better to know about these things than trust a mechanic your neighbour recommends!

Associate
Weird. I kind of get a similar problem after I wash my car. I will start it up the next day, put it in gear, give it some gas and it feels like the breaks are locked up. The car will lurch a bit and then 'unsticks' itself. Only ever does it after i've washed the car....

Soldato
Not sure which cars, but i know transit vans are bad for it.

Our work one was really bad for it if you went out in the wet then parked it in the dry at night.

Not sure if there is a good fix for it or if a clean is generally the key.

Associate
the lining has come off the brake shoe.

it shouldnt need to have the drum cut or ground off, it nees a hub puller that is held in place by the wheel nuts and the press's on the shaft that the hub nut screws on to.

ive done loads of these at work,
it a very comon problem that is easly solved by using mintex brake shoes.

edit: ive just seen that iots been solved lol

Back
Top Bottom