windows 7 32bit..4gig ram..2.75 usable?

Associate
ok i understand that it cannot address the full thing but why is it only showing 2.75 gb available?

ive updated to latest bios also for my board asus maximus formula 1403 bios version..so why?

one of the dimms would not work in slot4 kept crashing..so i swaped the dimms round and now windows boots and shows 4gb, if thats got anything to do with it :S

Soldato
Theres your problem.

4gb - 1gb is 3gb, minus *some more memory* including ram on the board, bios memory, etc. etc. sounds about right.

Why aren;t you using 64-bit now?

The entire video RAM isn't mapped like you think it is, I had the same amount of memory available in 32 bit XP with both a 512MB and a 1GB Video card.

Soldato
The entire video RAM isn't mapped like you think it is, I had the same amount of memory available in 32 bit XP with both a 512MB and a 1GB Video card.

Correct, the CPU/OS dont have direct access to the GPU ram, they have access to a window, and the GPU is responsible for where the data is stored.

There's probably a frame buffer for direct access for 2D functions, but a lot of the GPU memory is used for texture storeage, and other functions that the CPU simply dont need access to.

Man of Honour
Part of the reserved MMIO block is going to be reserved regardless of the GPU memory amount. 32bit OSs are automatically reserving a 1GB block minimum on most current MOBOs. So, in those cases, you'll see 3GB max of the system memory.

Back
Top Bottom