Akasa Duo Dock

Associate
i havent got one, but damn that is one clever gadget! Im seriously tempted to get one for myself! There is a couple of reviews on OCUK that rave about it, 5*s. Looks like a winner to me!

Associate
Not a particularly new gadget, just new from Akasa.

My brother has one (not Akasa though) and it is a useful tool. Simply plug in and go.

Associate
OP
is it hotswappable?

I been doing a bit of research and found this on another site, wont link it as dont know if its allowed but will post what I found.

"So, here comes the Akasa DuoDock SATA Hard Drive Dock into play. To simplify the data transferring process without any need to get headache on wiring and screwing, you would only need to vertically plug the hard drive to the SATA hard drive dock, plug the usb cable to your home or other designated computer and data transferring as easy as copy and paste.

Above Akasa’s latest hard drive docking station is designed to fit both the 2.5″ and 3.5″ hard drives. Colored matt black or piano white finish, the Duo Dock hard drive docking station has a dimension of 140×108x71mm.

The hard drive docking station is using a SATA interface, Hot Swap-ready and has USB 2.0 and eSATA connectivity. According to info the hard drive docking station will be available soon."

Associate
I have one - use it on eSATA and hot swaps fine. I use it with 2.5" and 3.5" drives. eSATA cable included and the blue light underneath can be switched off. Recommended.

Associate
OP
Is it just plug and play and does it have to use esata or can standard usb work as well.

Answer will determin whether I take the plunge :)

I assume the power button on the top is for "Hotswapping" as people would say :)

Soldato
Great if you're always swapping drives about, though the old method of having a test PC with the cables hanging out the front/side hasn't let me down yet. Still a little pricey I think, for what is a fairly simple device.

Associate
OP
Great if you're always swapping drives about, though the old method of having a test PC with the cables hanging out the front/side hasn't let me down yet. Still a little pricey I think, for what is a fairly simple device.

idd but open case and wires hanging about isnt a pretty site and you would have to keep turning ur computer on and off each time, lot easier for storing stuff and for £35 its a bargain.

Associate
OP
Is there something special I need to do to get E-Sata working with this thing ?

Through usb im getting atm solid 25mb/s :O but thats a directory so hehe.

Cant seem to get it to detect the dock through esata.

Last edited:
Associate
Iv this same model, found it very usefull so far although only been using it through usb and not esata. Mainly use it for storing data on some old laptop drives I had kicking about.

Associate
OP
Iv this same model, found it very usefull so far although only been using it through usb and not esata. Mainly use it for storing data on some old laptop drives I had kicking about.

It is awesome but one thing I overlooked was cooling for the drive :( Dont like them getting too warm I get very paranoid.

I got 2x1TB drives. Store films and TV items on both.

1 to use and 1 as a backup incase it fails.

Associate
OP
I really need to get something like this, Sharkoons dual slot one would probably suit me better though. :)

Well my paranoia isnt doing too well feeling this HDD after an hour and am leaning towards buying a cooled enclosure and using that instead at least whilst the temp in my room is 26+celcius.

I must admit though the ejection and power button to make the drives easy to take in and out is very nice but I dont like the heat buildup.

Associate
OP
For the cost its great bit of kit.

I have one.

What kind of xfer speed you get with USB.

Mine starts off ok with a folder consisting of 3 seasons of a TV series but drops to around 25mb/s and stays there til its finished.

I am only asking about the USB since I cannot get it to be detected via esata on front of computer (I have Coolermaster case and the USB's work on the front but the esata dont and not sure if its connected) or from the back of my computer and im not sure if its a cable problem as I dont have another to test.

Also every now and then I get instal failure and something wrong with USB device when turning it on and a quick switch off and on and it will be detected so not much of a hassle.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Would just like to say this thing isnt worth the hassle.

90% of the use time is turning the ******* thing on and off cause it keeps coming up USB device not detected.

Gonna try something else myself.

What a waste of money

Back
Top Bottom