So the TV licence came in the post...

Capodecina
Soldato
I apologise if this has come up time and time again here, I did do a search.

I don't own a TV, do I have to pay this thing anyway? a] are they just trying it on or b] I have to get on with it and pay it.

Thanks.

Caporegime
As long as you don't watch live tv you don't need one. You can have a Tv in your house no problem, just as long as you don't receive a signal.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
The letter says that you have to pay if you own a mobile phone or computer [haha, but £45 for a black and white licence, maybe I should say I have an old monochrome CRT].

But I watch TV shows on neither phone nor PC. Nor YouTube 'shows' at the moment.

I want to do the right thing but I can't help feeling this is kind of a ropey way of forcing people in to pay.

Soldato
The letter says that you have to pay if you own a mobile phone or computer [haha, but £45 for a black and white licence, maybe I should say I have an old monochrome CRT].

But I watch TV shows on neither phone nor PC. Nor YouTube 'shows' at the moment.

I want to do the right thing but I can't help feeling this is kind of a ropey way of forcing people in to pay.

What the hell, thats a blatant lie! :confused: Does it give you any phone numbers on the letter? I would be inclined to think it was a scam after that particular sentance, maybe compare contact details with the official site?

Edit - Unless it states you use the phone or computer to watch live tv broadcasts...

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Indeed, ownership of both is not proof that you watch TV shows. It also says something about how they'll send people round and that this is the "first step to prosecution" - which, if you think about it, doesn't mean anything. Pretty forceful, eh.

I think I'll ignore it. Unless anyone in the business can tell me 'differently'.

Soldato
If you don't watch LIVE TV on any device then you're fine! They're just blanketing everyone who doesn't have a licence bullying them into paying, regardless of whether they have a TV or not.

Soldato
make sure that your TV is not connected to the ariel though, I heard if it's plugged in they can take it that you watch TV. As long as you don't watch live TV you don't have to pay.

Soldato
Don't pay if you don't watch, our house is in such a bad areas for reception we can only get 4 analogue channels so it just isn't connected up in my room and in the lounge the connector is broken.

I will be happy to pay it however once I move house and am simultaneously watching 2 HD channels via Freeview and Freesat. :cool:

Soldato
I am sure that they have had a meeting, where it has been decided, that if you have eyes with which you might see a television screen, that you will need a tv license.

I am sure that the BBC could find better ways to fund itself..

Associate
One cannot simply refuse this entertainment service, without appearing to be dishonest in the eyes of TV Licensing™. The non-viewer does not fit into their framework.

Soldato
i wonder how long it will be before they start pestering ISPs to see who is watching tv on their computer without a license. no doubt they will have full government backing.

Soldato
ignore the eltters, when i moved into my new house i did nothave a tv for quite a while, and got tons of letters just ignore them

finally a man knocked on the door claiming tob e from the tv licencing authorities, i politely told him to F off. next day he was back looking thru the curtains and stuff so i pretended to call the police on my mobile, he scarpered pretty quickly and nevr returned.

Man of Honour

If you don't have a TV that is set up to receive TV signals then you don't need a licence - it's as simple as that as far as I am aware. I don't know if you live with someone else and they have a TV that they use for viewing then if so they will probably need to buy a licence but except in fairly specific circumstances (shared halls for instance) you only need one licence per household.

Associate
It can even be set up to watch TV, aerial fitted and tuned. The offence is viewing TV channels, not having the capability to do so.

They must prove you watch TV.

Back
Top Bottom