Real Problem

Associate
Ok, so I have had the machine in my sig for around 2 years or so, but recently something is happening that I can't correct.

When I hit the power on button on the front of my case, the fans power up but the machine fails to boot.

It will stay like this ,...with all fans running until I hit the small reset button on the front of the case (sometimes takes several attempts) then the Bios splash screen appears and the system boots into Windows as it should.

I have cleared the CMOS (battery removal, removal of main power cables - power down for 30 minutes) but it still does it.

Anyone got any advice as to what I can check?:confused:

It is getting rather annoying now....:mad:
help appreciated.
Cheers in advance.

Associate
OP
Thanks SteveB for the quick reply....

hmm.....if the mobo battery was dead would it not store all my bios configs?
I managed to load the overclock saved in the bios after the CMOS reset, would this mean the battery is ok?

I don't have any means of testing the battery

Soldato
I don't think it's the battery. Sometimes faulty RAM, GFX, PSU or mobo can cause this! Also, your overclock may have become unstable.

I'd start by running a memtest, and maybe trying to boot the rig with any spare components you have to eliminate components one at a time.

I'd also reset the BIOS to defaults if you haven't done that already.

Sometimes, simply reseating the memory or gfx card can cure these issues.

Associate
OP
Cheers Alex
I have replaced a stick of RAM after I had a BSOD...I think it was in Ram slot 1 so first to see the voltage....since it has been replaced my system is stable but for this issue.

When I said the system is stable, it is Prime stable (I ran it for 5 hours after the BSOD and RAM replacement to verify) and I can game with no problems.

I guess I could start the component by component removal and replacement... I was just curious if it is anything obvious that someone had come across before.

Soldato
Not really, I'd test it as systematically as possible now. These sort of problems are hard to track down without eliminating everything you can.

Associate
OP
Right...I have been reseating things and nothing worked so I focused on the Memory.

Stick by stick (4 x 1 G Ballistix + 2 x 1Gig spares) I have been doing memtest V 1.70 runs for 6 hours.

RESULTS:

Stick 1 Batch ID: CL1118C.IZ- Would not post
Stick 2 Batch ID: CL1118C.IZ- Would not post

Stick 3 Batch ID:CL1118F.MF - Would not post.

Stick 4 Batch ID:CL1118F.MF - Pass 6 hours Memtest V 1.70

Stick 5 Batch IDCL1118L.GL - Pass 6 hours Memtest V 1.70

Stick 6 Batch IDCL1118L.GL - Pass 6 hours Memtest V 1.70

So a 50% failure rate....with only a single matched pair (2 x 1 Gig ) being fully working ....these are now in the machine.

The third working stick is part of a matched pair in which one wouldn't boot the machine, So both will be going back as a pair.

Ballistix have a lifetime gurantee I believe so even though I bought the first pair in Nov 2007 they are still eligable to RMA....the other pair was a replacement for a DOA pair from 2007 also...perhaps I have not had too bad a run.

Still strange how it managed to post with defective modules...via the reset button when there were 4 banks of 1g sticks in?
Oh well....see how things go from here.

I have the two matched sticks in dual channel and it boots fine....just wonder if I should be repeating my PRIME to confirm full stability?

Further thought is that the RMA units will be the "newer" ballistix....Single Sided and not compatable with my remaining 2 Gig "older" DIMMS.

Wonder if I should push for refund?
Not sure that is an option though?

Thoughts?:confused:

Back
Top Bottom