memory problems - GA-X58A-UD35 6GB installed only 4 usable

Soldato
As the title suggests I am having some problems getting all my memory to be recognised. I believe it is a mother board rather than a memory problem.

If I look at system properties it states:

installed memory (RAM): 6.00GB (4.00GB usable)

I have tried reseating the memory, and also tried them in various combinations, my conclusion is there is nothing wrong with the memory, but there is an issue with the motherboard.

e.g if we call the 3 memory sticks A, B and C and and name the three memory sockets 1,2 and 3.

testing each socket individually, with just one memory stick, A, B or C are all recognised in 1, 2 or 3.

conclusion - therefore all sockets and memory modules are working fine.

when using just two sticks any combination of A,B & C will be recognised as 4.00GB

however when I add a third module 6.00GB is not recognised.

To put it another way, with 3 memory modules installed only 4GB (out of an expected 6GB) are recognised.

If I remove any of the memory modules from any slot position, then 4GB will still be recognised.

reading around it would seem that a fair few people have been experiencing this problem with the Gigabyte motherboards, the solutions I have seen all seem to point to RMAing the motherboard, something I would like to avoid if possible -advice appreciated!

n.b I am running an up to date windows 7 64 bit so OS is not the problem.

I actually have been checking the memory in the BIOS, so the problem I am describing is occurring before I enter windows.

-edit can a mod please change the title, should read UD3R not UD35 obviously

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
memoryproblem.png

here is a pic from windows. I find it strange that windows can recognise 6GB is installed and yet the BIOS only ever acknowledges 4GB.

Associate
it takes 2gb of ram to run the OS and other system programs i think, i get that 4gb ram 2.98 usable

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I have just tried reseating the CPU, as I heard that sometimes works - it didn't!

I also checked for bent pins - there aren't any!

I guess I will be giving oc a call on Monday to rma.

Soldato
OP
Well You wouldn't expect there to be problems, I think I have just been unlucky. Though it is good to hear you aren't having problems as it suggests replacing either the mb or the ram should resolve this issue.

Soldato
OP
having retested the RAM it appears that one of the modules is intermittently faulty - i.e it will occasionally work!

this made diagnosing the problem considerably harder as I had to keep testing every module to spot the pattern.

Anyhow - relief that it doesn't seem to be the motherboard as I really didn't want to have to effectively rebuild the system again.

Sending the RAM back to OC today for RMA - anyone know how long it will typically take for me to receive a replacement?

Soldato
Ok I tried all 3 sticks one at a time in each slot and they all worked, I then put all 3 back in reverse order to what they were originally and now its saying 6gb total. :)

edit: ok it seems the problems back today, so their going back to be tested. :(

Last edited:
Associate
I had this exact same problem, from what ive read there are a number of causes, dodgy seating of CPU and bent pins as youve said, or bad RAM/motherboard slots. Fortunately for me my problem was that a epic piece of dust got into the cpu socket, just took it out, reseated the CPU and all is now fine.

I would say try reseating the CPU again, i also read some people had to do it a few times, if not then i hope its a dodgy RAM stick :(

Hawker

Soldato
Thanks for the advice, im gonna check for bent pins as soon as I get some more thermal paste. If their all ok they want me to send the ram back as it always seems to be the same stick that fails. I will be ecstatic if I find an epic piece of dust like you did.

Back
Top Bottom