is it worth Building Gaming Rigs these days !

Associate
sorry for the Question, need little advice Please i Might think of Upgrading but is it worth it these days, my specifications are Below should i stick with the current specs and wait

Xeon 5130, 2 installed processors, 1333MHz front side bus and 4MB 8Ghz, (2 CPUs installed)

4 GIG, Fully Buffered DIMM (FBD) 667MHz ECC memory

Sigmatel STAC9200 High Definition Audio

750 watt Power supply

1TB hard rive s-ata = 1000gig hard drive. Seagate hard drive

Nvidia 9800GT 1 gig, Graphics card, pci express x16

Associate
if you enjoy playing games and are very picky about graphics, hate jaggedy edges and low res textures like you often get on consoles then yes its worth it.

if you like mmorpgs then yes its worth it

though other than mmorpgs and some graphic adventures from smaller developers there's very few pc exclusive titles these days.

you will get a rather large boost on gaming performance if fyou get a better gfx card and maybe a quad processor - don't know much about that xeon - is it based on core 2?

Associate
The current specs look decent, so I would say no. However, with newer games and bigger screens, your graphics card might not be able to to run it well?

So:

If the games you play runs fine and at the quality you want, then don't anything. If you want more eye candy, slot in a new graphics card such as Radeon HD5770 or beyond, if you got the cash.

Associate
if you enjoy playing games and are very picky about graphics, hate jaggedy edges and low res textures like you often get on consoles then yes its worth it.

if you like mmorpgs then yes its worth it

though other than mmorpgs and some graphic adventures from smaller developers there's very few pc exclusive titles these days.

you will get a rather large boost on gaming performance if fyou get a better gfx card and maybe a quad processor - don't know much about that xeon - is it based on core 2?

from intel about the xeon http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9RX Its a dual core core cpu, so technically 4 cores on the PC. I doubt there is much around to warrant the mobo, ram and cpu change to make it benficial. it would be change for the sake of changes.

Associate
hmm a 5770 if you want the DX11 support, or the 4890 (unfortunately no longer sold on OCUK) if youd prefer bang for buck on current generation games.

I personally chose the 4890 in Jan as the less horsepower of the 5770 and limited penetration of DX11 in current games swung it for me

Associate
Umm there ok at Medium to highish settings. Depends on your resolution you are playing at.

My cousin just updated from a 9600gt to a 5770 and hes got a 30% increase on all of his games. He also sais to me DX11 is a load of bull he says the performace decrease for the extra shapening is pointless.

Associate
Umm there ok at Medium to highish settings. Depends on your resolution you are playing at.

My cousin just updated from a 9600gt to a 5770 and hes got a 30% increase on all of his games. He also sais to me DX11 is a load of bull he says the performace decrease for the extra shapening is pointless.

+1 i currently believe a 4890 is better value for money than a 5770 at the same price. If the 5770 is cheaper go for that, otherwise a 4890

EDIT: its the memory bus of the 5770 that chokes it. Quote from Toms Hardware:
"Anti-aliased environments are where we’d hope to see the Radeon HD 5770 gain some ground over last-generation cards. However, the loss of memory bandwidth caused by shifting from a 256-bit to 128-bit bus ensures the Radeon HD 5770 trails the Radeon HD 4870 and matches pace with Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 260."

Associate
from intel about the xeon http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9RX Its a dual core core cpu, so technically 4 cores on the PC. I doubt there is much around to warrant the mobo, ram and cpu change to make it benficial. it would be change for the sake of changes.

it wasnt claeer from the op whether he meant 2 dual core processors running on a server motherboard or 1 dual core processor. it looks like all socket 771 motherboards are dual socket, if that is the case and he is running 4 cores yeah there is really no need for a processor upgrade especially with a budget of £150 i'd recomend a 4890 or 5770 also.

Back
Top Bottom