US number plates in the UK. How does that happen?

Associate
Hi all,

I've looked high and low on the net for an answer, but I can't find one. Was hoping someone here might know:

How do cars from the USA (not necessarily American cars though), end up in the UK with USA plates? I know that if a car is imported and used in the UK, it must be converted to be suitable for use on British roads, and so it will end up with UK plates.

But I see quite a lot (say 2-3 per month) of cars with US plates. California. Virginia. New York. How do they get here (from a legality point of view)?

And I don't live anywhere near a US Army base!!

Lum

Lum

Soldato
Exactly the same way that French or Swiss numberplates get here, only they have a much longer boat trip to make. They only need to be converted and conform to UK standards if you are becoming resident here (or possibly if you're going to be here more than 6 months, not totally sure on that one). Maybe you live near a couple of non-doms?

The question I've always had is why people bother rather than just hiring a car when they get here.

Lum

Lum

Soldato
Because they can.

I guess that depends on the car. The only time I've ever seen a US plated car over here it was an old A32 Maxima. For the cost of shipping that thing here they couldn't just bought one off the autotrader.

If you have a more interesting car I can see the attraction. I'd love to ship my Cef over to the USA and go on a 6 month road trip.

Soldato
No, it depends on the person, you're looking at it from a purely fiscal and logical point of view, many people wont, they'll just look at how much it'll cost them to do it and if it is within their budget they'll do it regardless of whether they could have hired/bought/whatever a replacement for less once here.

Soldato
The question I've always had is why people bother rather than just hiring a car when they get here.

Because they love their car ( even if it is a regular or cheap ''for the masses'' car) ?
Because it might be cheaper ( if they stay for long periods).

For me my car feels like home kind of if you know what I mean, I'd love to take my car even if I went on a holiday to the US... I know it more or less, It has my 9 speaker sound system I'm used to and my music, I know what to expect, I don't like leaving it somewhere, etc... It's just my little home away from home.

Last edited:
Soldato
maybe they are in the US airforce. my sister in law got her car shipped to germany when she served over there and got 2 shipped back. Unlike the british military, the US looks after their troops.

Associate
you'll see lots of cars from dubai also in London. And also i beleive the consulate officials use USA plated cars? they dont have to pay parking tickets, speeding tickets or congestion tax

Soldato
Ive heard on the director of a company i used to work for ship over a Ford Mustang and just rang up the dvla and registered it. Real beauty when it arrived here in the back of a container.

Man of Honour
I guess that depends on the car. The only time I've ever seen a US plated car over here it was an old A32 Maxima. For the cost of shipping that thing here they couldn't just bought one off the autotrader.

If you have a more interesting car I can see the attraction. I'd love to ship my Cef over to the USA and go on a 6 month road trip.

haha, best post all year. Your Cef is so similar to a Maxima they are all but identical in any way it actually matters.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16339901 said:
haha, best post all year. Your Cef is so similar to a Maxima they are all but identical in any way it actually matters.

Apart from being almost entirely different, sure :confused: Only trivial differences like a totally different body, engine, drivetrain and suspension system. What you just said is about as dumb as comparing a normal Lancer with an Evo.

Man of Honour
'In any way it actually matters'.

Despite Lum's protestations to the contrary, it isn't a 4 door Skyline GT-R and it wouldnt do anything on a road trip of the USA a similar power Maxima wouldnt, meaning his slagging of the guy who brought a Maxima over whilst in the same post explaining how he'd love to take his Cef over is hilarious.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
For me my car feels like home kind of if you know what I mean, I'd love to take my car even if I went on a holiday to the US... I know it more or less, It has my 9 speaker sound system I'm used to and my music, I know what to expect, I don't like leaving it somewhere, etc... It's just my little home away from home.

I really do not think that you would, take your car with you on a holiday to the US that is. What a bizarre thing to say you would do in-fact.:confused:

Man of Honour
I really do not think that you would, take your car with you on a holiday to the US that is. What a bizarre thing to say you would do in-fact.:confused:

I dunno, in theory I'd love to take my own car on a road trip to the States. If I could take my own car for the same as it costs to hire one, then I'd take my own for sure.

Obviously you cant, so I never will, but it remains something I'd totally like to do.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I am thinking logically along the lines of snowdog and his volvo estate, the costs of doing so, the logistics involved (how long would the ship take, both there, and back when you are finished with it!?) and the fact that to rent a Z06, Navigator, etc etc would be far cheaper, plus you wouldnt have to wait weeks for the car back on its return leg :p

I "get" dubai registered reventons, pur sang edition veyrons, stuff like that. Normal cars though :confused:

Back
Top Bottom