virus's

Soldato
hi, my other computer crashed out saying it was full of viruses so i ran loads of scans etc and deleted what i could and the rest were stored in the 'chest'.
then i formatted the hdd and reinstalled windows and now the computer wont work...
i can access the BIOS.
ive reset the CMOS
its the only hdd for the computer
question is, can the virus have gotten any further than the hdd and still be within the comp. somewhere???
help much appreciated,
luke :)

Soldato
OP
fails to boot.
inserted formatted drive and windows xp disc and said there was a boot error insert system disk etc. did that , and nothing.
so i took the formatted drive and plugged it into my pc and installed xp on it, all went fine. then plugged the same drive into the plagued pc and it said there was a boot error insert system disk again...

Soldato
If you've cleared the BIOS settings then it may be trying to boot from something other than your XP hard drive. Check to see if all the cables are fitted correctly, then have a look in the BIOS settings to see if anything is configured incorrectly.

Soldato
OP
its primary boot device is the hdd (only 1)
but it still says insert system disk,
when xp disc is put in it doestnt do anything so then i set primary boot device to cd drive then secondary to hdd and still nothing...
is there anywhere the virus could be other than the hdd???

Associate
its primary boot device is the hdd (only 1)
but it still says insert system disk,
when xp disc is put in it doestnt do anything so then i set primary boot device to cd drive then secondary to hdd and still nothing...
is there anywhere the virus could be other than the hdd???

No. Furthest it can get is the MBR afaik. Bios viruses are very rare

Soldato
It's unlikely you have a BIOS virus.. but not impossible.

But I assume the BIOS is showing all of your connected drives up properly? CD/HDD etc?

If making the CD drive the primary boot device isnt spinning up the drive for access then there is something more fundamentally wrong with it.

Associate
some bioses refer to Hdd as the boot drive whilst some will refer to the specific model number and some will refer to both

make sure you have reffered to teh specific model name if availible

Back
Top Bottom